Automatic to manual

Hi well my question is related to changing an automatic ep91 in a manual. Iv done a search and read all the threads but still have a few questions.
Firstly the automatic has an overdrive feature how would this be effected when the automatic box is gone?? (as in will the automatic ecu be different?)
And is there much difference in the 4efte and the 4efe gearbox's?
(I was planning on using a 4efe box with a racing clutch would this work?)
Thanks in advance for any help.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I'm pretty sure you'll need a manual ECU and yes you can use the 4efe box, but it is weaker and you may have problems later on if you want more power.

""""""''Firstly the automatic has an overdrive feature how would this be effected when the automatic box is gone?? (as in will the automatic ecu be different?)"""""

your o/d light will flash in the dash board....u will either have to remove the bulb OR just put a piece of black tape over it by removing the cluster cover--this is easier and is what i did to stop seeing the annoying light:p....AND if u are lazy, u can just leave it and let if flash away its life---which ever method u choose, there is NO harm done

u can keep the automatic ecu....just bridge the two wires for neutral so the car can start ----my car ran with the auto ecu AND the manual ecu.....no problems wither way

"""And is there much difference in the 4efte and the 4efe gearbox's?
(I was planning on using a 4efe box with a racing clutch would this work?)""""

the 4efe gearbox has slightly different gear ratios and is not generally seen as strong as the 4efte gearbox......but i guess it will do the job in the mean time if u already have one

""""""''Firstly the automatic has an overdrive feature how would this be effected when the automatic box is gone?? (as in will the automatic ecu be different?)"""""

your o/d light will flash in the dash board....u will either have to remove the bulb OR just put a piece of black tape over it by removing the cluster cover--this is easier and is what i did to stop seeing the annoying light:p....AND if u are lazy, u can just leave it and let if flash away its life---which ever method u choose, there is NO harm done

u can keep the automatic ecu....just bridge the two wires for neutral so the car can start ----my car ran with the auto ecu AND the manual ecu.....no problems wither way

"""And is there much difference in the 4efte and the 4efe gearbox's?
(I was planning on using a 4efe box with a racing clutch would this work?)""""

the 4efe gearbox has slightly different gear ratios and is not generally seen as strong as the 4efte gearbox......but i guess it will do the job in the mean time if u already have one

Thanks so the n/a gearbox should last for a while anyway right?? (until i source a turbo one!)
When you say ran with the auto ecu does that mean that there would be no difference in the auto ecu and manual ecu?

also there is a hi and low boost on te auto's right??

cheers for your answers!:rockon::rockon:

Lekid

Member +
where can i get more info abt auto to manual conversion?? am planning to do this aswell! any good info ?

Thanks so the n/a gearbox should last for a while anyway right?? (until i source a turbo one!)
When you say ran with the auto ecu does that mean that there would be no difference in the auto ecu and manual ecu?

also there is a hi and low boost on te auto's right??

cheers for your answers!:rockon::rockon:

the n/a should work for a long time UNLESS u rag it about all the time----i'm assuming it is in good condition before u install it:)

yeah,,,,i did the conversion a long time ago....and i ran the automatic ecu......and i also ran the manual ecu........BOTH worked...on the stock set up

HOWEVER, the manual ecu is better used IF u have something to monitor and tune the car properly...the maps are slightly more aggressive:),...so would make tuning a bit easier..

if your car is stock, either ecu should work........but i would advise u to stick with the auto ecu and buy some sort of piggyback if u have or plan to do mods........

yes, hi/low boost is on auto's

the n/a should work for a long time UNLESS u rag it about all the time----i'm assuming it is in good condition before u install it:)

yeah,,,,i did the conversion a long time ago....and i ran the automatic ecu......and i also ran the manual ecu........BOTH worked...on the stock set up

HOWEVER, the manual ecu is better used IF u have something to monitor and tune the car properly...the maps are slightly more aggressive:),...so would make tuning a bit easier..

if your car is stock, either ecu should work........but i would advise u to stick with the auto ecu and buy some sort of piggyback if u have or plan to do mods........

yes, hi/low boost is on auto's

Thanks the car is stock so hopefully i wont have to touch the ecu etc. just change the over the gearbox..

u will have no o/d or o/d button........u will have a shifter and gearbox now.....those two buttons --POWER and MANUAL will become useless

they will still illuminate on the cluster if u press them....BUT will do nothing....lol

Are you sure? as in what do they actually do?

one allows the car to rev higher with the auto box before changing -POWER
the other is for normal driving changes---earlier shifts---MANUAL

there was a tread on it a while back.....do a search

BUT they do nothing when u have in the manual gearbox......nothing at all////