battery relocated to boot... is it legal??

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
ive located my battery to boot, its in a junction box at bulkhead and is wired into th main fuse box fuse...

recently a police officer told me that its iilegal to have battery in boot..
mines in a sealed box and bolted down so doesnt slide...

has anyone else heard this before??

dac69er

Super Moderator
As above, you really need to vent it and I would fuse it in the boot as close to the battery as possible

AdamB

Member +
Not illegal at all, quite a few imports have them in the boot from standard, my dads skyline does and I also think supra's do.

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Not illegal at all, quite a few imports have them in the boot from standard, my dads skyline does and I also think supra's do.

Yes, but does a starlet come standard with a battery in the boot? I think this is what the Police Officer was getting at?.....but could be wrong!

Paul_JJ

Member +
It well could be the same as HID lights conversion and HID lights from the factory! From Health and Safety point of view it's not a good idea to have a battery in the boot due to acids inside the battery and possible battery explosion due to overheating. I suppose those cars which have it from the factory have some kind of safety or probably different type of batteries to standard, I can't say exactly. It is a good idea performance wise if you have a RWD vehicle, also good for the cold countries as it's better to keep the battery inside the car rather then under the hood.

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
maybe the officer has/had a point in that all the other cars i heard you mention were not hatches and so the batteries were actually in the trunk, which is a separate enclosure from the passenger cabin. perhaps the issue then is having the battery in the same compartment as the passengers. could be a valid point right..?
if the batt is a MF one then that reduces the risk a lot more as well..
have picked up a good bit about fusing the battery +ve feed as close to the battery as possible. mine is fused at the master fuse in the engine bay, but the wire i'm using is massive military grade gauge.. so it would take a thousand teeth to get through the sheath on it.. :D lol

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
dark knight, mine is fused same as yours...

the explosion thing i think is what he was tring to say, yet mine is in a sealed box, but has a hole which vents to the atmosphere..

was told by MOT station that mine is very much legit, but police are a law to themselves...

dac69er

Super Moderator
dark knight, mine is fused same as yours...

the explosion thing i think is what he was tring to say, yet mine is in a sealed box, but has a hole which vents to the atmosphere..

was told by MOT station that mine is very much legit, but police are a law to themselves...

Most police simply are not sure about some things so just say its illegal to cover themselves. If they just said it and didn't do anything about it then I wouldn't worry about it

AdamB

Member +
If the car passed the MOT like it, I wouldn't worry, just a case of if you have a badge you think you know everything.

m1n1man1275

Fresh Recruit
New mini's have the battery in the boot too + it's a hatchback. Just a thought though, would you need to tell an insurance company about that mod?