Best tyres for 14's?

Yeti

Member +
Hi guys,

Looking for some new tyres. Currently running 185/55/R14 79V.

I checked on camkill but it looks like the decent brands are £50 per tyre?! I'm hoping to buy 4 new tyres for circa £120. I check the search and it seems this is doable but most are running 15's which might be a more common size = cheaper price? At this rate i'll only be looking at 2 fronts only lol

Any recommendations?

rmsnoel

Member +
Will be watching this thread. Im back to my standard 14's for the winter. Had 1954514 contact sports and I dont reccomend them. You want little or now sidewall flex if your for hard cornering but as its winter Im opting for a more comfortable 50+ this time.

On smaller wheels and well slicked and polished 60 looks really well with rock hard springs.

Khumo are soft but good, gf goodrich I had a great time with, trusty toyo are always worth £50 but its its cheap and cheerful but not life threating your after MARSHAL are a khumo pattern and easy enough got. Best to check what deals you can get locally.

Yeti

Member +
Cheers matey for your input. My car wont be tracked at least not any time soon. Again i'm trying to work on a lowish budget, try get decent enough tyres for dry and wet conditions. I'm happy with my current 55, so i'm happy to get these again.

So far been on tyretraders, camskill, mytyres. Seen to be around £40-60 for premium stuff. I noticed as well alot of the 14's are "H" rating. Is this suitable for a Glanza? I'm assuming not as these are only rated upto 130mph?

DaveEG

Member +
So by the best tyres you mean the best for £30 per corner. To be honest its fairly difficult to get anything that great for £30 a corner, plus then you'll have to get them fitted. Also not too many premium tyres are made in a 14"

Try Falken ZE-912's they aren't bad and are made in a wide variety of sizes.

Texx

Super Moderator
I noticed as well alot of the 14's are "H" rating. Is this suitable for a Glanza? I'm assuming not as these are only rated upto 130mph?

If your not driving at over 130mph, it's not going to cause an issue.

Yeti

Member +
So by the best tyres you mean the best for £30 per corner. To be honest its fairly difficult to get anything that great for £30 a corner, plus then you'll have to get them fitted. Also not too many premium tyres are made in a 14"

Try Falken ZE-912's they aren't bad and are made in a wide variety of sizes.

Cheers for your advice Dave, I'll check into those Falkens. Yeah best within a budget of ~£120 delivered (Not inc fitting/balancing etc)

From this budget I'd love to get new rubber for all corners, but after searching on the net, it's not going to be possible, unless I get some dirt cheapo stuff. Looks like i'll be lucky to get 2 tyres for this budget for my size. As you say doesn't seem to be put premium tyres made for 14's, and the ones which are seem to be alot more expensive than 15-16's.

Since its only my front two which need changing, the rear will have it wait :(

Seen some Yoko's for £55 delivered, never tried these before though - http://www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformation.aspx?ItemID=YOK18555R1480VSDRIVE

Another cheapish tyre Federal SS595 @ £41 each , again though never had experience with this brand http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=30820

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
I've been using AS01's for the last 18 months (195/45/15). Not a bad tyre to be fair and a damn site better than the Toyo T1-R shite I was using before.

Yeti

Member +
If your not driving at over 130mph, it's not going to cause an issue.

Definately won't reach anywhere near those speeds. I just assumed for insurance and legality wise? Your tyres must match your cars top speed? Or am I talking bull? :S

EDIT: I guess the Glanza's top speed is 112mph ;)

Last edited:

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
I have 14's on my GT currently using Yokohama A539 185 50 R14 77V, fantastic tyre especially in the wet but cheapest i can get them so far is about £62 each

Ryan87

Member +
jay i am after a set of tyres for my 14s for the winter would you recommend them Yoko's for the winter?

Still have to get off my lazy hole and get round to pick up them wheels lol

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Ye i would, was using them last winter and with all the snow they were a good job. Few of the rally lads i know use them on theirs Evo's in the wets.

Ah no worries Ryan, no panic. I have them out the back. Did you finally get the TD04 in?

Ryan87

Member +
droped it of on thursday there to get done so i would say majority of it is finished. Theres just a few things that need looked over that are annoying me.

hope to be getting it set up next weekend

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Why didn't you just do it yourself? i could have helped you out, i fitted both Furphys & Scoobys then just got Jay to do the fuelling.

Ryan87

Member +
have no time at all on my hands mate back to work again and things are flat out i just come home from work and straight to bed lol