Big Brakes weighting up ?!

FeNder

Member +
hey everyone , i got a big brake kit installed , after driving it around i feel steering got a little bit heavier , maybe some better feel , did anyone else experience this ?

riko666

Member +
you would do - not sure about the feel though as people have various interpretations, but for the steering weighting you're pretty much just increasing the unsprung weight, and what this achieves is a greater gyroscopic effect - think about a bicycle, when you go relatively fast the wheel is relatively harder to steer, as the gyroscopic momentum of the wheel keeps in upright and going straight. That's what you'll get with bigger, heavier brakes, leading to an "unwillingness" of the wheels to turn in comparison to the lighter brakes, which in turn leads to more steering weight

GTti

Member +
The calipers themselves probably aren't a great deal heavier, I assume being forged aluminium. Something like Wilwood Midilites are MORE than enough for a Starlet - anything else is overkill. The extra weight will most likely be in the disc, get rotors if you want to save weight.

riko666

Member +
you can talk with your greater english such as "gyroscopic" and "unwillingness"

just demine us why dont u riko!!!

It's not my fault, I go to Oxford........

*whispers*...Brookes :p

And regardless of Mass of the disc, unless it is lighter than the original disc you'll still experience the, ahem, gyroscopic effect as you're pushing further unsprung mass to the edge of the wheel for greater rotational inertia...