Big end cap nuts not torquing ??

ep - karlb

Member +
as above just rebuilding bottom end and rod number three the cap nuts wont torque 40nm , what should i do they are gone thighter than 40nm ,crank still turns free and nuts are gone tighter than 40 nm . is this ok ???any help apreciated .

dac69er

Super Moderator
what do you mean? just do them to 40nm. they will go tighter, but why?

how much tighter did you do it and why did you you do it tighter???

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
I don't understand what your saying?? You should stop tightening the nuts when your torque wrench clicks to indicate or reads 40Nm.

ep - karlb

Member +
wrench wouldnt click man , as if the threads are damaged ??kept goin a few 90degree turns but no click so stopped ..
seems as if thread damaged ??should i undo nuts and check threads and use differant nuts or just leave it with the extra torque ???

dac69er

Super Moderator
if it hasnt clicked, either your torque wrench is at fault or the thread is damaged. if the torque wrench is proven to be ok then the threads are knackered and it wont be to the required torque anyway.

dac69er

Super Moderator
well if it hasnt clicked then its not at the correct torque. it wont be too tight, it wont be tight enough.

GP82

Member +
Best to take it out and inspect whats happend instead of guessing and chancing it will be ok, if something goes wrong once engine is installed, it will jus' be a big ballache to do everything again.

AdamB

Member +
Take the bolt out and inspect the thread on the bolt and in the block. Put it in by hand and if it doesn't grip and get tight then you got a thread problem.

ep - karlb

Member +
strange one loosened big end cap inspected threads nothing wrong at all so tightened it up again in the stages and click click ,torqued no problem
was thinking how could it have been threads, sorted now and done correctly which im happy with .thanks for the comments lads

Skalabala

Member +
It depends on what wrench you you have.
Some of them wont click if you have the wrong grip on them.
Post a link of what your wrench looks like buddy.