biggest cams for 5e??

poke

Member +
whats the biggest cams you can fit into a 5e??going buying a set and would like to know more about them before i purchace?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Bigger isn't better when it comes to cams.

What turbo are you running and what are you reving to? But as has been said I wouldn't go higher than 282s but its the lift you need to consider aswell and for that you'll need to see how much lift your head can handle before coil bind and interferance with the pistons.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Bigger isn't better when it comes to cams.

What turbo are you running and what are you reving to? But as has been said I wouldn't go higher than 282s but its the lift you need to consider aswell and for that you'll need to see how much lift your head can handle before coil bind and interferance with the pistons.

well put lad negtive rep as you know to much :)

poke

Member +
haha ill have to negative rep you aswell for knowing to much, but ya im running a garrett GT3076R im only half way through my build but was told id need serious head work to get the lag down?

billybob

Untrusted Seller
haha ill have to negative rep you aswell for knowing to much, but ya im running a garrett GT3076R im only half way through my build but was told id need serious head work to get the lag down?

ypu may well do or a bottle of the cheaters stuff ...ie nos :)

poke

Member +
was looking into nos might head down that road after i get get the headwork done give her that extra push!!would 282's my best bet do ya think??

billybob

Untrusted Seller
was looking into nos might head down that road after i get get the headwork done give her that extra push!!would 282's my best bet do ya think??

id be thinking yes or if not mybe a 272 would be good also

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
If it was me I'd run 272s up to about 8500-9000rpm then 9000-10500rpm the 282s but lift has alot to do with it aswell.

On a GT30 your prob going to be reving to a minimum of 8000rpm so 272s would work well, last year I used 264s and reved to 8000rpm, there was some torque loss though up at the top of the rev range but it was quite minor, the car still maintained a flat power curve and made peak power at 7400rpm.

Also if using nitrous bare in mind the harder you rev the less effective it is cause the piston moves faster there is less time to squirt in gas and fuel.

Last edited:

billybob

Untrusted Seller
If it was me I'd run 272s up to about 8500-9000rpm then 9000-10500rpm the 282s but lift has alot to do with it aswell.

On a GT30 your prob going to be reving to a minimum of 8000rpm so 272s would work well, last year I used 264s and reved to 8000rpm, there was some torque loss though up at the top of the rev range but it was quite minor, the car still maintained a flat power curve and made peak power at 7400rpm.

Also if using nitrous bare in mind the harder you rev the less effective it is cause the piston moves faster there is less time to squirt in gas and fuel.

that would only apply if useing a cheap shitty single port nos set up lol

animal gt

Member +
NOS is so overated lad,i wouldnt bother with it! it aint needed neither is the 5e.each to there own doh

you looking proper good cams gime a shout ill put you in the right direction

billybob

Untrusted Seller
NOS is so overated lad,i wouldnt bother with it! it aint needed neither is the 5e.each to there own doh

you looking proper good cams gime a shout ill put you in the right direction

nos is over rated?depends on the setup of the engine and what fuel its running.wouldnt think its over rated from results ive been seeing on dynos.

AdamB

Member +

How well would the engine need balancing to run at 10500rpm? Surely it would need double valve springs and titanium retainers?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
The benifit of nitrous isn't in power, its the way it can bring on a much larger turbo in a small engine. That to me is of more use that its power adding abilities.

Plus boost is free :p

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
How well would the engine need balancing to run at 10500rpm? Surely it would need double valve springs and titanium retainers?

It would need to be balanced very well lol! Hyabusa valve springs are what you want and solid buckets, e.g. Yaris buckets. Zisco can supply you with stuff to rev the nuts off it but it's not really needed, 9000rpm is all I can see being required.

animal gt

Member +
Crazy man! Lol!!

I must admit the calm before the storm when you floor it is quite amusing, slow car... slow car.... slow car....... Holy shit!!!!! lol.
fcuk yea thats what its all about haha.

given the car ahead start beside ya, when realy your waitn for boost..LOL