boost creep/what is regerded as maximum 'safe' boost to run without fuelling mods?

gavinboe

Member +
ok so i bought a glanza, the boost solenoid had been bypassed, it had a HKS adjustable actuator set to 8psi, a full stainless exhaust system with a decat and a cone filter, apart from that it was standard, driving it home i gave it some beans and pretty much imediately as i flexed my big toe it hit fuel cut (shit my pants lol) so i fitted a boost gauge soon after to see the extent of the problem.

It was pretty bad, in 2nd gear at full throttle it would cut by 3500rpm, and on the motorway doing 70mph in 5th the gauge reads 3-5psi if i am just crusing at around 10% throttle but if i just touched the pedal beyond the point where it would start to accelerate (like 25% open) the gauge would shoot past 8psi and id have to back off.

Anyway having read a few aricles on here and various other sources i decided to take the turbo off and port the wastgate, before i did this i also ordered a WEPR mild steel mani, with all the gaskets and coolant for when id be draining the rad etc (wanted to do a propper job of it) and a filter relocation kit (to the front bumper)...i rearlise thats like giving with one hand and taking with the other where solving boost creep issues is concerned lol. so when i ported the wastegate i think i played it safe and left a little too much material, there was still a good 3-5mm left around the hole for the penny to seal, so having put everything back together and the new mani and filter kit in place i took it for a spin and to my devastation it still creeps like a bitch lol, it did hold boost a little better than before, i would now have to back off at around 4500rpm in second gear as it would be approaching the 12psi mark by then, but motorway driving was pretty much the same as before,

sooooo i took the turbo off again..and this time a took away loads more material so that there was only around 1.5-2mm all round left to seal with, took it for another spin and it didnt really make much difference again, it held till about 5000rpm maybey :S so i decided then to ditch the filter kit and put the efi pipe back on with the cone, its a lot lot lot better now, when i boot it the boost gets to 8psi, stays there till about 4500rpm and then creeps slowly to around 10-11psi by the time i get to 6000rpm but doesnt seem to go any further, ive never taken it past 6500rpm but even then its still holding a steady 10.5ish psi, so my question is, is my engine likely to melt like this, i cant grind any more material away so dont really know what else to do,i dont drive the car hard hardly ever, ive only been doing it to test wether its still creeping, other then that i just plod around in it 90% of the time but it would be nice to know that when i want to overtake someone i can do it without the risk of my engine shitting itself.

I do intend on going down the fmic/rrfpr/fcd route eventually and maybey reinstate the filter relocation kit lol but i would like to know for now, as it is, do you think itll be ok??

Any oppinions/views on the matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded explanation :p

Gav.

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
now u got the wastegate ported and put the efi pipe back on and not hitting fuel cut u should be ok the best route is external wastgates that will eliminate boost creep if your still abit worried adjust the actuator half a turn longer that will lower the boost a little bit and keep u below fuel cut if u dont know how to crack off the lock nut pull the rod off the wastegate arm and turn it down towards half a turn soo the hole lines back up with the pin on wastegate arm put it back together tighten up the lock nut and take it for a spin see what u boost how fast was u goin at 6 and half k lol

gavinboe

Member +
now u got the wastegate ported and put the efi pipe back on and not hitting fuel cut u should be ok the best route is external wastgates that will eliminate boost creep if your still abit worried adjust the actuator half a turn longer that will lower the boost a little bit and keep u below fuel cut if u dont know how to crack off the lock nut pull the rod off the wastegate arm and turn it down towards half a turn soo the hole lines back up with the pin on wastegate arm put it back together tighten up the lock nut and take it for a spin see what u boost how fast was u goin at 6 and half k lol

yeah and its holding much better with the efi pipe back on, but i havent done any motorway driving yet where i cn put it in 5th at 70/80mph and see if it creeps when i floor it at top end, when i say 6500rpm thats a 2nd gear run so only around 50-60mph and its holding pretty well there but it seems to get worse the higher the gear and the faster you go but as i said i havent tested that yet with the efi pipe back on lol but yeah i understand why its happening and what causes it etc and its better than it was, im just abit concerned that at 10-11psi ill be running quite lean and may melt a piston lol, i was thinking of getting an AEM wideband kit to see how much it leans out an certain boost levels. Adjusting the actutor sounds a good shout mate, i had considered it, i think ill do that as i dont really want to go external at the moment..