Boost gauge wiring assistance

gv1.3

Admin
Hi all,

I am trying to wire a defi racer boost gauge in to my mr2 and have hit a snag. Any gauges I have done before I have just wired in to the headunit for power but I read the defi site and it says that you must wire the racer gauges in to the ignition as per below quoted from the defi site

I have the steering column stripped and the wires exposed but cannot find a wiring diagram for the ignition wires on a mk2 MR2 anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what colour the following wires on an MR2 are

-constant 12v
-Ignition on
-Earth (not too important I can earth it somewhere)
-illumination

Any help appreciated.

"14. About Racer boost gauge, is the below explation correct?
Wiring the connector with red (Vcc)wire, white (Vout) wire and
black (Ground) wire to either cigarette lighter or radio harness.
Also does wiring the orange (ignition) to A/C harness work?
Though you could wire the connector to the cigarette lighter or radio harness.
we strongly recommend wiring to IGN (ignition).
If you wire either to the cigarette lighter or radio harness,
the gauge will run in the accessory, not with the ignition on.
Without the orange wire to 12V constant, the gauge does not run
its ending ceremony. As a result, the needle pointer of boost gauge will not go back to 0.
Please ask for professional help for installation.because installation professionals
have the detailed information of wiring diagrams for your vehicle. They would be willing to assist you. "

danturbo4311

Member +
Best bet is to use a multi meter & work out what wires are what yourself then your 100% certain & dont end up ruining your gauge or causing any problems. Why do they say it must be off the ignition aslong you wire it up correctly it shouldnt matter what source you get the wires from.

Texx

Super Moderator
It should be fine to wire it into the radio feed Dylan. The radio connector should have both a permanent and an accessory/ignition 12v feed, you should also be able to pick out the illumination feed from the same connector.

Not sure if this will be of any use:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

If you can't identify an illumination feed, just splice into the back of the nearest dash illumination lamp connector.

gv1.3

Admin
Thanks lads. I got sick of looking for a wiring diagram for the mr2 and just wired it in as normal to the back of the radio. I coulnt find an illumination feed so just left that wire disconnected and the gauge is lighting up all the time which I don't mind.

Good news is it is boosting just around 1 bar and holds strong all the way.

Thanks again lads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glanzanut

Lifer
if you want the lighting to work properly Dylan the right way is to wire it into the lighting wires going to the stalk.
using a volt meter you can trace the permanent and switch lives coming from the stalk easy enough.

If you have an after market radio with an iso connector then this should help with identifying the colours

images.jpg

If not then this may help you, depending on what year your car is

1995 Toyota MR2 Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Gray
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Black/Red
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″
Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Purple
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue
Rear Speakers Size: 3 1/2″
Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): White

I had Defi link gauges and I just wired them in behind the radio and they never gave me a problem

Hope this helps

Last edited: