boost in different gears

ahmedsalem89

Member +
Hi, a question crossed my mind today and I couldn't find an answer searching. So I immediatly thought of asking here. My question is, if I raised the boost for whatever using an adjustable actuator or any kind of boost controllers, should the engine hit that maximum boost in all the gears? Let's say for example that I used an adjustable actuator to raise the boost for 0.75 bar, will the boost gauge keep going till it reaches 0.75 in first gear? Or it will only be achieved in 3rd and 4th?

Also if I kept raising the boost till it reaches 0.75 par in first gear, assuming a stock setup, will it hit fuel cut in higher gears?

I just thought of this when I was about to raise the boost to just before fuel cut and I started wondering.

Thanx in advance guys.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
If thats the case ,why do people dyno their cars from 3rd gear ? Why not from 1st gear?

They use the gear that provides the most torque and power.

Most CT9's suffer from boost creep so more than likely if you set the boost so it hits .75 in first gear it will creep to higher boost in the higher gear which can result in fuel cut.

You best bet is to set the boost in fourth under load to see the max boost it will achieve.

The EP91 and EP82 do have a restriction in first and second which limits the boost for traction reasons but you can bypass this (in the tutorial section) or when you fit a HKS actuator it removes this feature along with the high/low feature.

AdamB

Member +

Most CT9's suffer from boost creep so more than likely if you set the boost so it hits .75 in first gear it will creep to higher boost in the higher gear which can result in fuel cut.

You best bet is to set the boost in fourth under load to see the max boost it will achieve.

The EP91 and EP82 do have a restriction in first and second which limits the boost for traction reasons but you can bypass this (in the tutorial section) or when you fit a HKS actuator it removes this feature along with the high/low feature.

x2 dyno runs are also done using 4th gear, as it usually a 1:1 ratio gear.

mudi

Member +

Oh ok ,I getcha.
Thanks tho

dac69er

Super Moderator

incorrect: a certain gear wont provide any more torque or power.

the higher gears give the engine more loading which will increase the boost. this happens on all turbo cars, unless they have some sort of controller fitted.

ep82 does not have a boost restriction as standard, only ep91

SalmanGT

Fresh Recruit
Boost level.

Another reason for different level of boost is traction issue, because of massive wheel spin in first 2 gears the engine dose not get the load ==> less exhaust flow==> Boost creeps and low boost. (Not going into details)

set the boost in 4th gear . :)