boosting problem

johnny_k

Member +
my car is struggling to boost and wont reach 1bar which is what its set to. i had the intercooler of today but couldnt find any leaks. spooling takes ages, iam getting .1 bar at 2000 rpm and it builds real slow and will just about make .85 bar by 6000. it pulls ok from there on.

iam running a tdo4 with the standard actuator plumed into an avcr. does it sound like an actuator problem?

Thanks
John

AdamB

Member +
Who set up the avcr? They are tricky bits of kit and the duty cycle needs to be set properly which affects spool time.

johnny_k

Member +
Who set up the avcr? They are tricky bits of kit and the duty cycle needs to be set properly which affects spool time.

it was all set up on an emu 6 months ago and its been fine only for the last week or so, if the actuator was getting weak would it be able to reach .85 bar?

AdamB

Member +
An ebc is more stable at holding boost than the actuator on it's own. I don't think the actuator will make a difference but I could be wrong. Has the battery been disconnected or drained in the last week?

johnny_k

Member +
An ebc is more stable at holding boost than the actuator on it's own. I don't think the actuator will make a difference but I could be wrong. Has the battery been disconnected or drained in the last week?

no nothing has been disconected, ill have to check over the pipework again and see did i miss anything

is the avcr going into its fuzzy logic mode? ie on the duty is says **** instead of a number. if it has then the avcr takes over duty adjustment to find the fastest spool up time. so if its on that it won't be the boost controller.

A weak actuator can also cause a slow spool up. and can show up in 2 ways a slow spool up as its not holding the wastegate door shut firm so bleeds off energy the whole time, or it can spool fast but creeps open prematurely causing a lower top end boost threshold

Tim
TB Developments

johnny_k

Member +
yea the duty says 1 bar and under that it has ***. its deffently not spooling fast! .85 bar by 6000 rpm! it reaches .10 bar and will drop a small bit to .09 and then it will start climbing very slow. iam getting .5 bar at 4500. also when the car is started should the active light and the interaction light be flashing on the emu?

if duty says that i would say its not a boost controller issue more something wrong with the actuator/wastegate or the engine itself

Tim
TB Developments

johnny_k

Member +
i just plumbed the turbo straight to the actuator and all i got was .4 bar at about 4200 rpm. i used to get .5 bar before i had it all set up with the ebc. iam thinking the actuator is fecked, anyone else have this problem before?

johnny_k

Member +
i dont have a clue , all i no is that i used to get .5 bar before i had it set up, it would hold it all the way to the top of the rev range.

AdamB

Member +
If it's the standard actuator then it will be a stock spring inside. So standard boost is what it will go to. Which is 0.4 on low.

he says hes running a td04, whats the base actuator pressure on those standard? is it 0.4bar? excuse my ignorance as i never use them or tune subarus lol

Tim
TB Developments

AdamB

Member +
Oh sorry didn't read he was running a td04 lol. Not sure what the base pressure is on the td04 actuators.

i wasn't sure on there base pressure either, i would have thought it was very low at 0.4bar unless its a twin port actuator like some of the toyotas have.

Tim
TB Developments

johnny_k

Member +
base pressure is .5 bar i think. i found out the problem, its not the actuator, the wastegate penny is loose. iam not quite sure what to do? can they be changed?

Thanks
John

you mean loose, when the actutor is all bolted up? just put some washers behind the actuator mount to give it a little preload.

of if you mean the penny is loose from the arm, there meant to be freefloating like that

Tim
TB Developments