BP Says Thank You

gv1.3

Admin
Microsofts quartelry profits are in the several billions bracket... Im still using a Microsoft operating system and people are buying Xbox's etc... organisations have shareholders to answer to and are not charities.

Ive no issue with companies making profits.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
But microsoft will sell at a loss instead of ripping people off, but then an xbox isn't the same as petrol.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
i think wat he means is that there profit has risen SHARPLY since the fuel prices have risen, not that there making a profit

gv1.3

Admin
its case of supply and demand. The price of something is whatever the market will bear... food is the same... companies will charge whatever they can get away with charging.

Microsoft will sell at a loss instead of ripping people off?? are you joking??

They sell consoles at a loss as a marketting strategy and then make their vast profits on software. The same as their operating systems. They are a huge entity that has put a lot of other companies out of business.. Ive no issue with Microsoft or any large successful organisation, I say well done.

If the market could not bear petrol at a certain price then the sales would slow down and the oil companies would be left with a surplus and it would be cheaper to reduce the price than store the oil... if people continue to create a huge demand for something then companies will capitalise on that.

This is no different than having a JAM ecu and selling it on here. Do you sell it for a couple of hundred or do you charge what the market will bare?? you charge what the market will bear... if you put it up for sale at 1000 noone will buy it... you cant blame people for wanting the most for something and if someone is willing to pay it then whats the problem?

gv1.3

Admin
just think... if bp made that much, how much have the government made so far in tax on fuel?

exactly... and that just highlights another point of my post above... people will charge what the maket can bear. This includes the government. Why do you think they can tax things so heavily like petrol for example? Because they know that people need it and will pay.

By the way, I obviously dont like paying the prices myself.. but if you strip the emotion from it and look at the facts we are all fuelling (sorry for that) the demand thus keeping prices high.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Microsoft will sell at a loss instead of ripping people off?? are you joking??

They sell consoles at a loss as a marketting strategy ?

I'm aware of that, I just can't be arsed to go into tons of detail on yet another "petrol is expensive" thread. What i meant by "instead of ripping people off" is "coz no fucker is daft enough to pay what the cost would be with a profit, so they do it to get sales going, as i know I'd rather lose £1 than £10 and the same goes for Microsoft". Thats why I added that its not the same as petrol.

As said im not stating that they shouldnt be making a profit, its just at how big the profit is that pisses me off and that even if they could slash xp of a litre they still be making billions.. That £6.7bn is just for 3 months, there making about £27bn a year profit..

Think UK government tax rate on fuel is 42%?

gv1.3

Admin
understand what your saying J but... I can say without a doubt that if they dropped the price by 2p a litre most people wouldnt even notice and also the government would see it as an opportunity to hike the tax up a bit further.

no win situation for the consumer.. who need this product.

Kelly

Member +
Everyone moans but nothing gets done.

At work ppl say to me "why your petrol so high? asda is cheaper?" but yet they have come and filled up at tesco? its madness. I know we all have to pay it but things like when there is a 'fuel strike' on ppl go mad the few days running up to it, so sales increase those days and are quiet for one day and then back to normal the next, its like whats the point? (apart from making my life a misery on the busy days :p )