Broadband Query

clarkytrd

Member +
Hi Folks
I'm having a bit of trouble with the broadband, they say they are giving us up to 24MB Broadband and we are getting a miserable 1.8MB according to SpeedTest.Net which is unbelievably slow!

I have a Thomson TG585 V7, Server is 192.168.1.254

So when I go to put in the username and password, it still wont let me in

I have tried 'admin' for my username and my serial number on my router for the password and still to no avail.

Can someone help me on this as it's really annoying me, cant connect to my Playstation network to it either due to being such a slow connection. :mad:

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i used to connect to xbox network on a half meg connection a couple of years ago with no problems.

what was your broadband speed before you went with then. i know in some areas of the uk it is still shit slow or non existent

clarkytrd

Member +
To be honest, it has never been over 2MB, but yet they advertise everywhere guaranteeing 24MB.. bloody disgrace, if I got 8MB I'd be happy.

My PS3 wont connect properly unless I have a constant good connection, I want to open the port on the router to allow all the signal go to the PS3.

Any guru's on here... Dylan where are ya.?? :p

dac69er

Super Moderator
dont think it quite works like that mate!? broadband companies always promise the earth and rarely deliver with their speed estimations.

Noisey_Boy

Fresh Recruit
Even if you are using a different ISP the connection is usually still through Eircom, meaning no improvement to the speed...
Which ISP is it ?

clarkytrd

Member +
Got my username and password sorted...

Stil getting only 1.7 MB, its so slow... Can I improve my download speed at all??

gv1.3

Admin
:)
pain in the arse, my parents "broadband" is shocking. Here are some things you need to know.

You probably will not be able to improve your download speed by doing anything on your side. Some basic stuff you can try is plugging all other phones in the house out and then trying a speedtest to see if any of them were causing interference. You could also try turning wifi off on your computer and plugging it in to your router with a LAN cable. Sometimes you can get radio interference which can degrade your WIFI speed.

If the above things dont improve speed then....

Call up your ISP and ask them what speed they anticipate you should be getting. If you are on a 24Mb package from them then ask them why its only pulling down traffic at 1.7meg. It may be that they operate a massive contention rate meaning you are sharing the 24meg connection with many others. This is easy enough to check yourself. Try your internet connection at 4 or 5am and see if it is any faster.

I would hazard a guess that you are suffering what most other people outside Dublin have the pleasure of dealing with and that is crap copper in your phone line and limited backhaul from your local exchange to your ISP. Your ISP will be able to tell you how eircom rated the copper in your phone lines. If it is poor then they will not stand over any speed they quote in their advertising. There is no point moving to a faster package with them or moving to a different fixed line ISP because your problem will still be a crap phone line.

I am in the process of buying a house at the moment and it is close to where my parents and brother have houses and their Internet connection is appauling, I couldnt live with it. I am looking at getting wireless service from ICE broadband or someone. I think they do 8Mb for 39euro and I wont need to get a fixedline phone in either so no line rental - might be worth considering, if it is available in your area.

You could also try a mobile router from Vodafone etc. It may actually give you faster throughput in that location than a poor fixedline service.

clarkytrd

Member +
Cheers for the info Dylan,

Friend of mine up the road is with Vodafone and he is getting 8MB no problem, but I think your right about a massive contention rate. They say its contention free broadband but its a load of..... :p. We changed from Eircom to Pure Telecom but to be honest, there is no difference whatsoever.

I'l give it a go in the early hours and see how quicker it is, but I highly doubt it will be much faster lol. Could be better off switching to a plug and play broadband like Vodafone, etc... might have better hope then!

Cheers for the help Dylan,

John

gv1.3

Admin
A good way of testing the VF connection is if you or someone you know has an iphone on VF. Download the free speedtest app and then run it over 3G from your location and it will give you a good idea of what sort of speed you would get with their mobile router/USB dongle

clarkytrd

Member +
Good idea Dylan, will give that a shot too!

Are we not meant to be getting fibre powered broadband here no.. or is that just another scam?

gv1.3

Admin
depends where you live I suppose. Considering they cant get mains water to my brothers house I wont be holding my breath for fibre broadband. The broadband infrastructure outside of major cities in Ireland is third world at best.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Eircom should be able to tell you how much your line can hold,and usually thats what you get roughly.

I had the 24mb package back home and was getting 18.5 roughly,my line could only hold 19mb anyhow.Got about 14mb wireless,sometimes 16mb.
Are you using wireless or wired? Just you will lose some speed through wired.

Oh and eircoms password is broadband1.
They're routers are shocking bad.Their firmware disabled alot of features on the router,you can't even make a static ip address or put any ip into DMZ (all ports open) so you have to turn the router firewall off or you'll constantly get NAT closed.

Noisey_Boy

Fresh Recruit
As the ads for Pure Telecom says up to 24Mb/Sec there's not much u can do. Twisted pair maxs out about 2Mb/s getting 1.8 is pretty good.

Wireless is an option but you'd get contention with your mate up the road if you go with Vodafone.

JAY_D

Member +
There all scamming F*CKS but upc seem to be the best of a bad bunch imo, is it available in your area?

gv1.3

Admin
UPC is cable broadband right?

I have cable broadband here in Atlanta and nothing I have used before on a home Internet connection even comes close. Its ferocious.

JAY_D

Member +
UPC is cable broadband right?

I have cable broadband here in Atlanta and nothing I have used before on a home Internet connection even comes close. Its ferocious.

Ye cable broadband is the way to go but as you said depends where you live unfortunatly