car starts poorly in this hot muggy weather???

dac69er

Super Moderator
only seems to do it when the weather is like it is today. hot and muggy.

the car will start and fire ok but 50% of the time it will run like a bag of shit for a bit then suddenly clear itself and be fine????

alot of the time it will be fine. mostly seems to be hot/warm starts but is also on cold starts.

fitted a new fuel filter, plugs, battery, lambda sensor, different ecu and a recon alternator and nothing has changed. the rotor arm and dizzi cap are fairly recent and the leads are magnecor and are about 2 years old and not broken yet :p
also cleaned the idle control valve a few weeks back.

any ideas? car runs perfect every other time, no smoke, doesnt use any amount of oil and performs well.

dac69er

Super Moderator
was all i was thinking. just wondered if anyone else has any ideas?

i have a spare set of good stock ones i could fit, but if anyone can think of anything else it could be then ill try that also!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
stock mate. ive got about 5 or so spare stock ones so if i have a spare half hour i may put one of those in.

its not a mega problem tbh. would just be nice to be sorted!

MentaLEP91

Member +
ok first thing is to get rid of the olf used fuel pump and get a nice walbro or sard for an upgrade.

i was having the same problem and it completely solved out when i changed the fuel pump to walbro.

dac69er

Super Moderator
im not going to bother with an uprated one mate. no need as its staying pretty much stock at the moment.
ill just stick a decent used stock one in for now and see if that solves the problem

bildo

Member +
I have definitely noticed a difference with my car starting up, normally it fires straight away but it hesitates for a couple of secnds when it's a nice day.

Not noticed anything different with driving it though.

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine always starts. its just sometimes it will start, run like a sack for a few seconds then clear and be fine???

has been ok today though and its pretty damn hot. its intermittent

dac69er

Super Moderator
this is still a problem :(

changed the fuel pump and injectors for known good ones i had in my other Gt and the problem is the same.

measured the resistances of the coolant in inlet temp sensors and they both check out ok.

any other ideas? it seems to be getting more and more often now, have no idea what it can be??????

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
is it like.

you start it go for a drive it gets to good normal temp. switch it off, go to start it back after some time. lets say 30 mins/15 ? and the car starts normaly but idle drops to 200rpm!? or thereabout

if its that.. i have the exact same problem and mostly in summer! so its something heat related... im almost sure its the idle control valve? 13 years old!

weakboy2

Member +
sure you havent got a slight headgasket problem dunc? almost sounds like your getting a touch of water in a cylinder then its clearing. Doesnt have to be much so you wont always notice shed loads of steam.

Just an idea mate

dac69er

Super Moderator
its cold start mate. needs to be sitting for a minimum of about 8 hours before its likely to do anything.

it starts fine, revs go up to 1500rpm or whatever it idles at when cold then drops straight back down to low rpm (cant remember exactly) splutters a bit, then gets back to normal.

could be idle control valve. ive cleaned it loads of times and it doesnt seem to make any difference. cleaned from the tb to the idle control solenoid itself. not sure what else to try apart from changing the valve! its intermittent though, sometimes it will be fine!

dac69er

Super Moderator
sure you havent got a slight headgasket problem dunc? almost sounds like your getting a touch of water in a cylinder then its clearing. Doesnt have to be much so you wont always notice shed loads of steam.

Just an idea mate

hope not, it has had a new headgasket when the new engine was fitted that was bought from fensport. i did do a compression test on it and it was very good. doesnt use any oil or coolant, doesnt seem to smoke either. does smell a bit fuelly when it does this, but thats about it.

addz

Member +
With the weather a little muggy I also notice this when starting, drives as per usual though. I'm guessing theres nothing to worry about - just the hot weather.

dac69er

Super Moderator
With the weather a little muggy I also notice this when starting, drives as per usual though. I'm guessing theres nothing to worry about - just the hot weather.

just interested as to what the problem could be. have no problem with my other GT, just the runabout!??

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
we have to start changing stuff. im almost sure its the idle control valve as once i cleaned it and was all good until a week or two

dac69er...do u run a standalone ecu or piggyback?
if so, it may be in the tune of the car...it might need a little tweeking, especially if it was not tuned in this type of weather/environment

seems like u have covered all the other bases:cool: