Car won't start

perreau

Member +
Hi guys. We are having this weird problem with my GT. It just died on us while lifting in 1st gear. Had to be dragged back home.

The car cranks, we see sparks in the plugs. Cams turn. timing belt is fine. Head gasket is ok. Compression seems ok. Wiring seems ok. Injectors are ok. Coil and igniter are all ok. Ignition leads are ok. All fuses ok. Fuel comes in to the rail.

NOW....what can be making my car just crank but not start?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
fuel injectors?

[edit] will continue to scratch my head on this one.. :confused:

my bad, had to edit my initial post since i'd missed the part about injectors. try the dizzy as GP82 has suggested.. :D

Last edited:

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
ah lad out my way had this problem b4 and it turned out it was the ignitor and coil pack it could be worth a try

perreau

Member +
Thanks for the replies guys....but we changed ignitor and coil pack...same issue. I will try the distributor cap and rotor arm and update u on here.

dark_knight

Member +
MAP sensor

random thought i know but i've experienced a faulty map sensor causing no-start problems as well. worth a shot, right..? ..as you continue to eliminate each culprit one by one..

perreau

Member +
Great news....the car started last night. The timing had to be readjusted on the cams and the timing belt. Then it started right away. My mech said that the timing belt may have slipped or the engine timing was messed up anyway.

dark_knight

Member +
igor.. she's alive!

@perreau: yei!!! :D
very happy for you. your mech said what..? that the t/belt slipped..? no way that's possible, unless it was slackingly loose or was not put on right the first time. slipping is almost nigh to impossible as the belt is toothed and the 2 main cogs/wheels on which it runs (crank and cam) are notched so those can't slip either.. unless you have one of those adjustable cam gear ones..?

congrats all the same.. hope she stays healthy..

dark_knight

Member +
problems galore

no problem mate. just glad you got it sorted. i always feel like it's me with the problem when a member reports a fault that we can't seem to figure out.. :)

AdamB

Member +
If it has managed to slip a few teeth, I would check for oil leaks around the crank seal area.
I know it may not be this, but it's worth checking, i've seen it happen before, a bit of oil on the belt and it's easy to slip a few teeth.
Glad you got it sorted though :)