Changed thermostat, possible problems

junior_G

Member +
Hi guys,

I removed the air con today frm my 98 V.. the heating hasn't been functioning rite for some time so I thought now would be a good chance to throw in the new replacement standard stat in and change the coolant as well.

I drained the old coolant, replaced the stat, filled the rad with water.. ran it for a few min's, drained the water out and put in abt 4lts of fresh coolant (halfrauds red) to the rad and reservoir.

I notice now that the temp gauge on the dash goes up to the half mark quite quickly and it takes alot longer for the fan to kick in when static. The gauge nearly goes to the half mark within a abt a mile of driving(30/5mph) but in fairness when you switch the heaters on it blows very warm air well. It would have taken some time to reach this mark before and heat well.

I also noticed when idling after putting the new coolant in that steam sort of came frm the rad cap (which is stock). The temp also doesn't seem to fall from half and I thought it would have cooled better as air is hitting the rad better with the a/c out (iv hav no FMIC)

Is this the system nw functioning correctly and i'm being paranoid or is there actually something wrong ??

cheers

G

djmbj

Member +
i think it should be spot on fella, i had the same prob my temp never went above 1/4 before i put new stat in now it stays on half an gets up to temp after about 5-10 mins of driving i thought my new rad was ace because temp never went above 1/4 since been told i was just f**king my car, it's got to run at proper temp witch is about the half mark or the oil won't do it's job because it's to cold.. as for the steam just be burning off some coolent that was on your rad after filling up..

dac69er

Super Moderator
as said, sounds fine to me. the quicker it reaches operating temp the better. as long as it doesnt overheat then it is working fine. if the stat is working correctly you should get no variation in the temperature indicated on the dash tamp gauge once it has warmed up.

i assume you meant the steam from the rad cap only happened the irst time you warmed the car up, or does it do it all the time? if it is all the time your rad cap may be knackered. a replacement is cheap enough. if it looks suspect then its always worth changing anyway.

junior_G

Member +
thanks for the response guys.. I was thinkin because it wasnt functioning like it is now before then it was prob rite.. I was just afraid that I had did something wrong changing the stat or fluids and needed the peace of mind

:rockon: rep's all round bro's

thanks

G