Changing steering wheel

Turbolover

Fresh Recruit
Hi,

I removed my original steering wheel on my 97 Glanza and put an OMP steering wheel but i noticed that the steering wheel is very hard now as if there was no power steering working on the car,do you have any idea what can it be? Thx in advance.

ASHep82

Member +
Could be that you have a smaller wheel than stock so its a little harder to turn.I could be wrong mate but I did notice the steering feel slightly heavier with a smaller wheel

dark_knight

Member +
stiffer steering

@Turbolover: as ASHep82 says, a smaller steering wheel and/or bigger/wider tires will make you feel like your power steering died.. :D

here's why;
imagine opening living room door normally using the door handle (which is ideally located at the very edge of the door). now try opening the same door but while pushing from half the door's length from the handle - at the middle. same door, same force (your arm) but it will feel a lot stiffer/harder to open. this is because your mechanical advantage (leverage) has been reduced (by the smaller steering wheel) which in turn requires you to use a greater force to get the same work done.

it's the same cause-&-effect scenario when you fit wider/bigger tires. you get a much large foot-print thus more resistance from the road surface, esp when the car is stationary, unlike the OEM/narrow tires that have a much smaller footprint thus less resistance.

makes sense..?
i'd say nothing is wrong, just get used to the extra effort you have to put in while turning the wheel.. :p