Chopped n changed exhaust due to farting noise LOL

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Hey guys,

Since theres not much going on in the general area chat, I thought I’d add a new post of what I got upto today. I like seeing all the mods that go on so Im guessing other people would like to see :)

Sooo, my car has started to lose some of its exhaust note and started to gain a farting sound.

Whipped off my exhaust this morning and sure enough 2 great big whopping holes…(sorry for grainy pic)

So for a temp fix decided on chopping and changing it :)

Chopped off the exhaust tip

And then the back mandrel bends

Next the hanger needs to come off

So with all the bits I needed I could start cleaning them up and get the prepped for welding…

First was the tip

Shaved a bit off the end and prepped it for welding

Then the bent bit

And the replacement backbox ;)

So when this was prepped and cleaned I was ready to weld the tip and 2 ½’’ SS pipe together (ha ha ha notice my masking tape as a way to raise the SS pipe to match the tip :) )

Had a bit of a dilemma on the next part. The exhaust that came off the car is mild steel and the replacement pipe is stainless steel. Now the welders out there will no that SS needs to be welded to SS and mild steel to mild steel etc etc, but if you can get a good weld puddle going and use SS rod you can get away with it if its not structural :) SO this is what I did as its only temporary.

That’s as far as I got today, but tomorrow will be bolting the bent part back onto the existing exhaust on the car and offering this new part up so I know where to cut for the length.

Once that’s cut and done I can then weld the 2 pieces together and then weld back on the hanger.

Then we have a straight through exhaust :) (well pretty much ;0)

Thanks for looking

:)

Mark

PS, Ill post up the rest tomorrow once complete :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
How did it get holes in it? Looks in better condition than most 6 month old systems that have been on the car in the UK!?
You can weld stainless to mild, no problem :)

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
dac69er - think the exhaust has been on the car since '92. I turned the exhaust on its end and I heard something like sand in it, then after I put it down there was a mound under it all ha ha ha. think the whole inside is now rust.

Colin - your right, it is loud but Im ball deep now after cutting it into pieces. I need a new muffler me thinks :). Oh and yes the TIG setup is the best addition to the garage yet. You dont realize how handy it really is until you have one. My MIG welder has been retired :)

CHeers

Oh I got a little impatient and welded on the mounting bracket and fitted the new exhaust mount

Think Im going to need to weld a bracket on the opposite side and then weld something to the car so it will side square under the bumper cut out.

Mark