clean turbo without taking it off the engine?

ahmedsalem89

Member +
hi guys,

I have been running meshed for a while and I'd like to clean the turbocharger before placing an air filter, what to use? I have WD-40, Carb cleaner, and Engine degreaser in hand but I'm afraid of ruining the seals or hurting anything, what would be the best method to clean it while it's still attached to the engine?

thanks

AdamB

Member +
If you want to do a thorough job the turbo will have to be taken apart to remove any debris from around the seals and bearings. In which case you may as well just rebuild the turbo. Just clean out the compressor housing with a bit of rag and put the filter on. If the turbo dies, (assuming its a stock ct9) they are cheap to pick up second hand.

dac69er

Super Moderator
as above. not worth the hassle. just wipe the inlet with a rag and fit your filter. if you have been running with mesh any damage would have already been done.

ahmedsalem89

Member +
getting a second hand one around here isn't as easy though. that's why I want to take care of it.
and the turbo is running fine, I only drove it meshed for a week approx.

wildchild

Member +
theres nothing to clean from the compressor inlet. just the outer edge can be wiped clean. even if any debris had gotten in through the mesh, they would have gone straight into the inlet manifold :)