comparison between TD04 and VF23 ,anyone owned both?

aaronw

Member +
hey,im currently running a TD04 at just 0.85 bar,till i get the car mapped.

its going to be run at about 1.5-1.6bar.

what would the main differences be?

lag between gears?
when does it hit full boost?

i read the post on the vf series,but that only compares to other vf turbo's.

and any additional comments welcome.

ive been told the td04 can handle upto 1.7bar but doesnt really perform much after 1.5 say.

,im getting a vf23 off a mate in a few days so before i get it id like to know the 'better' turbo.

ill be doing track days alot this year,once mapped.

thanks

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
think td05 can flow more popsy then 1.7.
as far as i can recall i think the vf will spool better,
and give more power, how much im unsure of matey.
but i know on a scooby vf23 maxes out in 320-350bhp region and is good upto 1.4-1.5bar boost,

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
think td05 can flow more popsy then 1.7.
as far as i can recall i think the vf will spool better,
and give more power, how much im unsure of matey.
but i know on a scooby vf23 maxes out in 320-350bhp region and is good upto 1.4-1.5bar boost,

i have 16g i was told 1 .8 bar max so 1.7 will do me anyway lol

some guys have run td04 up to 1.5/1.6 bar....i would say that's probably the upper limit
most tend to run 1.3/1.4bar on the td04L

the vf23 will be laggier than the tdo4l,
i'd guess the vf23 would reach 1.5 bar around 4500/5500 rpm on a 4e,,,, this is hard to call as it depends on many variables

i'm not sure how safe it is to run the vf23 at 1.5/1.6bar, as some of these turbos are not meant to run so high...you need to check with the subaru guys for safe boost limits on this turbo

if you plan on tracking the car, the design of the track will play a part on which turbo you will use
the td04 should be better suited for tight/twisty tracks with short to moderate straights

there is no "better" turbo per say,,,,you choose a turbo to suit your needs

hope this helps

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
vf23, 20 psi is seen as its upper limit.
i tack mine a lot and with my td04 im pretty competitive tbh,
at brands atch td05 in my mates gt just isnt suited, and at silverstone only on the two long straights was their a visible difference.
but if tracking car mate, alot of time comes from cornering and braking not out right power.

back on topic, i think vf23 will produce more power, and the lag to a td04 is hardly noticeable(compared to td05).

what tracks? or ideal set up are u chasing matey????

TheStarletGT

Member +
No such thing in terms of measurment in regards "when does it hit full boost" Oi, you can get a TD01 or GT55 1500hp turbo with full boost at 6000rpm. It depends on how long you plant your foot down and retain boost.

Lets say boost starts at 2100rpm in a td04l turbo, thats 1 psi etc. If i want to run 15psi, i can keep my foot planted and revv the engine how much i want. Look at Indy cars, they rev to what, 14,000rpm.

If you want to run 10psi of boost, set the boost controller to 10psi and rev how far you want.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
It is if you apply it to a specfic engine (i.e 4efte) as it depends on the engine.

And considering most questions in general will refer to the 4efte engine as this site is dominated by 4efte engined cars,i think it would be ok to presume that he is talking about the 4efte.

But to clear things up you could post
On a stock 4efte (stock head and internals) you should reach boost between xxxxRPM and xxxxRPM

Your post in fact seemed to have one point,that all turbo's will reach certain boost level if they can rev high enough,which,as im sure you know,is incorrect.

So please stop posting rubbish.

aaronw

Member +
*****appreciate all replies.******

the track ill be at is knockhill.

here is the spec of the engine which i should of included in the first post.

Wisco Low Compression Pistons 74.5mm
Scat H-Beam Forged Conrods
ACL Bottom End Race Bearing Kit
...Block Professionally Rebored and Honed
ZEP 1.2mm Head Gasket
Ported and Polished Head
Heavy Duty Valve Springs
265deg Billet Cams with 8mm Lift