Competition Clutch Review

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
East Coast Customs along with Competition Clutch where kind enough to offer me a little sponsorship for the 2010 race season in the form of a Competition Clutch and to also provide some stress testing of their new product.

I have been testing out their 6 pad paddle Stage 4 Clutch (250-300% increase torque capacity over stock). I had been using a 3 pad Excedy Stage 2 paddle clutch for the 2009 race season and the difference is night and day.

With the Excedy unit you get a very very hard pedal and being 3 pad it is extremely harsh with juddering in traffic, which was fine for me beacuse I don't use the car for alot of street driving, but I'm aware juddering for a daily driven car can put people off.

The first thing immediatly noticable with the Competition Clutch was the pedal was alot lighter than the Excedy unit and just slightly uprated! Also being 6 pad its alot nicer to drive in traffic, hardly any judder of it and you can slip it in traffic alot more than the Excedy unit which makes it much nicer for a daily driven motor.

I have put some miles on the Clutch now and have been stressing it to try and slip it. It has handled everything I've thrown at it, 2nd gear 6000rpm Launches, no problem. Also full boost in 5th I've dipped the Clutch and let it out quick and still no slip, also launched from 1st with launch control+boost at 5500rpm and up through the gears as fast as possible and its still holding strong.

Overall I'm very impressed, and the kit is great, you get the pressure plate, the friction plate, the release bearing, the wee fiddly flywheel bearing and an alighnment tool to fit it.

I would definatly recommend this unit, either for a fast road setup or for a track setup. They offer a whole range of clutch systems from standard replacement, from Stage 1 all the way up to Stage 6 or as they call it "The IronMan" they have systems that can handle over 400flbs of torque on our wee motors so there's something to suit everyones setup and the cost isn't too bad either.

Hope this info is of some help to those considering a Clutch.

Last edited:
A

Animal GT

sponsorship did i see???
ohhh thats not very nice considering the money iv givin them!!!!! must have a few words..lol

ur pedal is way to light man..wouldnt suit me at all

billybob

Untrusted Seller
sponsorship did i see???
ohhh thats not very nice considering the money iv givin them!!!!! must have a few words..lol

hmmm sponsorship i might get one of these and get some stickers to put on my car also they seem to yeild some great results .:)might break my car and start a new project

Boab

Member +
sponsorship did i see???

Animal, anything you need, pm me. I'll keep you right.

Bob

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
sponsorship did i see???

Guess they needed a motor with high torque :p:haha:

Only messin lad.

gedis

Member +
yes ecc know their starlets, thei maped my car and i'm delighted with them, well recomendet :rockon:
p.s will be comming back to them at the end of next year

Boab

Member +
yes ecc know their starlets, thei maped my car and i'm delighted with them, well recomendet :rockon:
p.s will be comming back to them at the end of next year

I remember your glanza, was totally blown away by that car, its a real credit to you.

Bob

clarkytrd

Member +
these look a great piece of kit... what kinda one would you recommend for around the 250-300bhp mark??

will defo be gettin one from you guys in the new year, also great price on the arp bolts, they are on my list too..

great work guys

thanks

Boab

Member +
these look a great piece of kit... what kinda one would you recommend for around the 250-300bhp mark??

will defo be gettin one from you guys in the new year, also great price on the arp bolts, they are on my list too..

great work guys

thanks

Hi, same kit as spuddy will do you fine - stage 4. means if you up the boost or go for a bigger setup then you wont need to touch the clutch.

Bob

clarkytrd

Member +
Hi, same kit as spuddy will do you fine - stage 4. means if you up the boost or go for a bigger setup then you wont need to touch the clutch.

Bob

cheers for that mate, I'l definitely be onto you lads in the new year..

cant wait to see more goodies from you!:rockon:

Johnny_C

Lifer
how much for this clutch?
im more than happy with what im using,but may have somthing else to build 2010 so just looking at figures.