CT9 rebuild

Harvey

Member +
Hi all, in process of rebuilding a CT9.

I have a rebuild kit, with new bronze bushes but there is a problem.... I put it together and there appears to be a lot of slop!!

Measured the bushes and they are nearly 1/2mm shorter then stock ones!!! So like 1mm overall!

yqt1s3.jpg

yqt1sf.jpg

You can see that gap in 2nd pic, its a lot of slop! I think i will have to reuse the old bushes. Anyone come across this problem too?

2nd point - i have remains of one turbo, and took apart my shafted one.

Im not sure of the name of the part but they had 2 diff bits!!

yqt1s5.jpg

one on left was from my spares, it has like a metal flap that looks like it directs/ affects oil flow??

One on right is from my turbo that was rebuilt by turbo dynamics (i think, or turbo technics i wil have to check).

Any idea why they different? And what one is best/normal one fitted to a CT9?

Cheers;

Harvey

dac69er

Super Moderator
did you use the spacer that came with the rebuild kit or the ne that was in the turbo already? tbh, if the bearings are ok then you can reuse the old one.

as for the other bits. the one on the left is a normal seal housing, the flap just directs the oil out of the turbo down the oil return.

the one of the right, im not sure about. could just be a generic seal housing that turbo dynamics use. may just have a selection in different sizes for different turbos. i really dont know. can you get a clearer pic of it?

Harvey

Member +
Wat do ya mean my spacer mate? I think i have everything there that was removed, starting with the exhaust turbine and shaft, then attached is the bronze bush, new centre piece, bronze bush, then the spacer thing that sits in the 270 degree bearing, then the seal, then intake turbine.

The shaft is stepped at the 2nd bronze bush to the 270 degree bearing, so that cant move anymore yet there is a good 1mm gap!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i was meaning the spacer between the 2 bushes? did you use your original one or the one in the kit if it came with one!?

Harvey

Member +
Ah sorry, i see what ya mean.

The original and the new centre bit are nearly identical size, withing about 0.05mm i think so i could use either. its the bushes... the new ones are *.5mm (cant remember the size but can the decimel size lol) and the original were *.90-95 suggesting they have 0.05-0.10 wear

speedvision

Member +
Ah sorry, i see what ya mean.

The original and the new centre bit are nearly identical size, withing about 0.05mm i think so i could use either. its the bushes... the new ones are *.5mm (cant remember the size but can the decimel size lol) and the original were *.90-95 suggesting they have 0.05-0.10 wear

when u say slop...u mean when u put the entire turbo back tog u get alotta shaft play or u just move the bearings side to side on the shaft without putting it back into the turbo?

sam

Harvey

Member +
when u say slop...u mean when u put the entire turbo back tog u get alotta shaft play or u just move the bearings side to side on the shaft without putting it back into the turbo?

sam

Hi Sam;

They have a lot of side to side movement. I havent yet fitted the shaft assembly to the core yet as i want to get it petrol cleaned first. Is there a stop or something in the cartridge meaning the play will be taking up, only leaving play/space in the centre bit?

I wuill get it trial fitted this week and see how it seems.

speedvision

Member +
Hi Sam;

They have a lot of side to side movement. I havent yet fitted the shaft assembly to the core yet as i want to get it petrol cleaned first. Is there a stop or something in the cartridge meaning the play will be taking up, only leaving play/space in the centre bit?

I wuill get it trial fitted this week and see how it seems.

yes u have to put it back completely tog ......u will get slap liek that

sam

Harvey

Member +
come on harvey dont rebuild it get that ct12 on :p did you hear about ricky?

CT12? I dont have one mate??

I wish i did have a JDM CT12 off a supra with the ceramic turbines tho :(. I gotta rebuild until ready for the T25 :(

Yeah i did hear about rick, sounds bloody painful!!! I will give you a call sometime i wanna ask ya something about MOT ;)

Ok Sam cheers, i will see how it all seems when i put it together this weekend :)

ivan

Member +
you will have slop because its a bush bearing. When they fill up with oil, the slop will go away. Prob is that is when your car is running.

As for the slop when completely assembled, and freshly built turbo can have between 0.5-1.0mm of movement from side to side, but no movement in or out.

ivan

Harvey

Member +
Well i have rebuilt the core now.

Once the metal 'ring' is put on the exhaust side and all put in the core, it minimises the lay in the shaft.

My question is this. On the exhaust turbine side wherte you have 2 grooves. Obviously the 1st one (closest to turbine) is for the metal ring. What is the 2nd one for? The shape of it looks like its designed for an O-ring, but it wouldnt actualy be doin anything as its sat in a void in the oil way??

Im still a little concerned the bushes are too short, meaning they can slide on the shaft inside the housing. Myworry is they have the possibility of not alligning properly with the oil feed holes in the housing....