cusco dash dodger roll cage

jamesbaa

Member +
Will a cusco 9 point cage which is currently fitted in a ep82 fit into an ep91? its the dash dodger and obvioulsy a bolt in cage!

cheers

James

cheshireglanza

**Do not buy from me**
the ep82 cages fits into ep91 the only diff is the gt roof is small bit higher so you will have small gap between the roof and cage if fitting it into ep91,i no this cause i just sold my ep82 cage to lad with ep91 it fitted no probz just small gap

Fatman

Member +
Many things! The most obvious is the double bent A pillar bar that dodges the dash, in a roll over incident (the only circumstance where a cage of this design *might* help) this A pillar bar will fold up like a wet noodle. Even if it didn't, the small 'footer' plates that bolt to the very non-structural floor area would undoubtedly punch through the floor leaving you with no protection from the roof collapsing and crushing you.

In addition the door bars are usually single bars located quite far inboard (close to you) offering very little in the way of resistance to a side impact and no additonal crush area before a foreign body hits YOUR body. In fact they're a lot more dangerous than the nice 'soft' curves of the door card and will probably break some bones.

Additionally having a roll cage in a road car has a couple of serious downsides, the biggest being in any sort of accident you're much more likely to hit your head on the bars, potentially causing some serious injury. I hear you say "But race cars all have roll cages, they're much safer?" This is true, however in any race car driven in anger you're going to be wearing a helmet. Rollcage + helmet are designed to go together. Additionally being held into a conventional seat with a 3 point belt (e.g normal seat belt) you're free to move around a great deal in an energetic collision, once again making it much more likely you're going to hit your head or brake an arm/leg on the usually unprotected bolt in cage.
"But my cage is covered with foam" Good plan, however it has to be the right sort of foam. There is an enormous difference between a pool noodle and proper roll cage padding. In comparison the roll cage padding is VERY hard. In anything other than a very low speed accident pool noodle or other type of fairly low density foam will offer minimal protection.

Once again I hear you say "But I put a set of harnesses in my car when I installed the rollcage, I won't be able to move around enough to hit the cage" Unfortunately the majority of harnesses that I have seen installed on this forum are installed in a very dangerous way, usually the shoulder straps are mounted back to the original seatbelt anchorage locations which results in a steep downwards angle on the belts. In a serious collision this downward angle (assuming that they don't rip out of the floor and your seat mounts don't break) will place significant downwards force on your shoulders and can result in significant spinal injuries. I also often see people leaving out the 5th and (depending on the harness) the 6th belts. These are called the sub-marine belts and are designed to stop you slipping down and through the belts in a serious incident. Without them you are removing another critical feature of the safety system and you are likely worse than you were with the original 3 point belt, factory seat and airbag equipped steering wheel.

Add to that the fact that virtually no serious motorsport governing body in the world (certainly none that I would race under) allow bolt in cages (without some fairly serious modifications at least) and for good reason. Bolt in cages are *much* weaker in every respect.

If somebody is interested I might do a full writeup on rollcage design and theory as applied to a starlet and how you can build a properly safe car.

bullet

Member +
that is a very good write up, the bit about the harnesses i have been telling people for ages but noone belived me (not on here) i understand what your saying about the a pillar bar collapsing, that makes sense. a write up on how to make a starlet as safe and sturdy as possible would be good.

repped