Cylinder head question..

powerpod

Member +
Hey all,

Just about to go tighten my c/h head down, Just wanted to no, Do i have to rotate my bottom pulley round so that the pistons are top dead center? Another words rotate the bottom pulley so that the grooves on the pulley match up with the triangle on the oil pump casing...?

OR

Do i leave the pulley and pistons were they are from when i took the old head off? I turned the bottom pulley to get the cams timed up before i took the head off? So therfore it should be okay to put the head back on and the cams back in the same way i took them out?

Hope you can all understand this ha :)

Thanks in advance..

Phil

matt walters

Member +
doesnt matter how you tighten it down, its when you time it when putting the cam belt on that matters mate.

just make sure that the dots on the exhaust and inlet cams are alighned, and when you come to put the belt on that the bottom crank mark is alighned to its mark on the oil pump housing, and the 4e mark on the cam gear is alighned to the mark on the cyl head.

to check tdc cyl 1 & 4 should be at the top, you can check this when the head is on by using a long screwdriver or something to feel if there at the top. just be careful when doing so.

you will need the cams out to tighten the head down anyway

powerpod

Member +
doesnt matter how you tighten it down, its when you time it when putting the cam belt on that matters mate.

just make sure that the dots on the exhaust and inlet cams are alighned, and when you come to put the belt on that the bottom crank mark is alighned to its mark on the oil pump housing, and the 4e mark on the cam gear is alighned to the mark on the cyl head.

to check tdc cyl 1 & 4 should be at the top, you can check this when the head is on by using a long screwdriver or something to feel if there at the top. just be careful when doing so.

you will need the cams out to tighten the head down anyway

Well Ive just been out and put the new on, Not torqued it down yet.. Cylinders 1 & 4 are at the top, Not sure about were the bottom pulley is yet as im not sure were to look and i think we've took the oil pump off for the minute. Cams are out, But before taking them out, 'we did time it up' But alligning the dots, and putting a bolt through the inlet cam gear like your sup-post to.

Were is the mark on the cylinder head for the main cam gear to align the 4e too?

powerpod

Member +
Is the mark on the oil pump housing on the plastic protective casing thing behind the bottom crank pulley? Looks kinda like a triangle?? And the marks on the bottom pulley, Are they just like a little indention kinda thing on the big and small pulley? I can get pictures if needed?

phil