daft question

malcolmgt

Member +
Copied from Monkfish's previous post.

Do I need a Catalytic Converter (Cat) to pass an MOT?

The common answer to this question is "It's an Import, so no". This is incorrect. If you own a Glanza, it will need a Cat to pass the MOT. If you own a GT, it depends on its date of first use (This is found on the V5) although this will only effect the later Mk3 Quadlights.

Ok, so the MOT handbook currently states that any car first used before 01 Nov 1995 where the engine code is not in the DVLA database (ie, the 4E-FTE fitted to all Starlets) only has to pass the basic emissions test. The basic emissions test consists of measuring the exhaust CO2 levels at idle, with the failure limit at 3.5%. If your 4E is over this limit, even without a cat, you either have it fueled to run a turbo the size of a dinner plate or it is fucked. If you garage tells you that your car needs a cat test, tell them to re-read their MOT handbook or go elsewhere to a place that isn't employing morons.

However (this is the bit Glanza and Mk3 GT owners need to pay attention to), if your car was first used on or after 1st Nov 1995 where the engine code cannot be identified, then it needs to pass the basic cat test. This test differs from the basic emissions test in that the CO2 limit is 0.5% at idle and 0.3% at fast idle (Usually around 3,000 rpm). As you can see, it is quite a lot tighter than the basic emissions test. My GT, running 1 bar and with a decat measured 0.86% at idle and was borderline with the cat on. In short, don't smash the guts out of your cat as a cheap de-cat as you'll need it for the MOT.

Note:- On the V5, "Date of Registration" is different to "Approximate date of first use". The first is the date the car was entered into the DVLA system (ie, when it was imported), the date of first use is the approximate date the car was registered in Japan, taken from what little paperwork will be with your car.

This is the flow chart used by MOT stations to determine if a given car requires a Cat test...

(Thanks to kieran.s for digging it up from an old thread)

So there you have it, all you need to know about Cats, MOT's and the little Starlet. If you live in a different country to the UK, you will need to check the rules and regs with your local governing body.

DizzyDragon

Member +
I hope so..

Got a long list to do before MOT, and it ran out end of jan and still havent done the lot.

Lug nut sheered horribly and I cant get of of. that wheel is the only one that needs a new tyre. need new front discs and pads, possible rears, maybe the cat doing, a rear fog light fitting and a chip in my drivers view, but autoglass are coming tomorow :p

Paul-GlzV

Member +
mine passed wit no cat ported mani an full HKS system it goes on emition so if you tak the car for a good drive 1st it should pass as the warmer an exhaust is the less emitions it produces especially a tuned exhaust as they will produce less than an oem. but also any car after 1992 that came wit a cat from factory must hav it fitted? it's luck of the draw chances are if she passes emitions they shouldn't look for a cat but lik i said it will be down to luck if you put it threw without it fitted

Russleh

Fresh Recruit
i have another question to add. i have a sportif but its a glanza rep including the engine. how would an mot approach it. like would they want it to pass the emissions of the 4efe or the 4efte ?

gregep82

Member +
i have another question to add. i have a sportif but its a glanza rep including the engine. how would an mot approach it. like would they want it to pass the emissions of the 4efe or the 4efte ?

I'm hoping you've registered it as a turbo right?

They should test it as a 4e-fte though

DizzyDragon

Member +
i miss-read u had the engine :p

If you've declared on your V5 the engine change :) Which you should of done anyway, as people dont miss intercoolers and the sound of a turbo spooling lol.