EGT sensor most accurate location?

1300wipass

Member +
Okay guyz, iv done some research and got some contrasting opnnions on the exact location for best results for the placement of the exhaust gas temperrature sensor in the exhaust system

this is a comment i got from the a honda forum:

"the best place to put it is about 2 inches away from the head on the 3rd runner of the manifold.
Why?

#3 is ALWAYS the hottest cylinder. 1+4 are more surrounded by water than 2+3 are, an because of firing order, 3 is hotter than 2."
[/COLOR]

so what is the firing order of the ep82 with regards to the above quote?? and also if running to lean will melt pistons, why not just monitor the "hottest" piston/runner by placing it in the induvidual runner and measuring/monitoring that rather than monitoring all by putting it where the runners meet (which some reckon is already too far from the cylinder head to be totally accurate)

this is a different oppinion from another site again:

Installation

Installation is quick and simple. The EGT probe must be fitted approximately 6” or 100mm after the turbo into the exhaust down pipe. The Lambda sensor must be fitted as far back as possible in the exhaust system for the most accurate readings. Preferably behind the silencer box as close as possible to the tail pipe. All fittings and wiring is supplied (customer supply own lambda probe) as part of the Turbo Logix EGT/AFR package.

also some additional info that i thought might be useful to guyz is this that i got off some site aswell:

Place the EGT wires as far as possible from the ignition components such as plugs, plug wires, and coils. Since the ignition components carry thousands volts they are a very powerful sources of EMI noise. The EMI noise may be inducted into the EGT wires. The Zt-2 has a sophisticated common noise rejection circuit, however the EGT signals are in mili volt levels (0.001V) where the ignition carries tens of thousands (10000) volts and placing the EGT wires near the ignition components may result in false EGT peak and hold readings.

any help would be gr8 guyz

thanx

dac69er

Super Moderator
best way would be to put one probe in each runner then adjust from there.

on the starlet the number 3 cylinder generally is the hottest so it would be best for a safety point of view to position it there. it will make minimal difference but it depends what you want the egt for exactly?

1300wipass

Member +
im looking to get 170kw ATW from a vf35 on about .6 boost, running with standard internals so its a weekend car and not an alround track car, so the best of both world if i can put it lke that, well thats my aim at least

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Best place for EGT probe is either in the turbo housing or the leanest runner of the manifold. EGT probes in downpipe will only give you average results which is not great when you need accurate temps.

AFR probes should be used in the downpipe, EGT need to be close to the hottest point i.e housing or exhaust manifold, downpipe will only give you "rough" results.

T

1300wipass

Member +
Best place for EGT probe is either in the turbo housing or the leanest runner of the manifold. EGT probes in downpipe will only give you average results which is not great when you need accurate temps.

AFR probes should be used in the downpipe, EGT need to be close to the hottest point i.e housing or exhaust manifold, downpipe will only give you "rough" results.

T

thanks so would runner number 3 be the hottest/leanest as "dac69er" stated .. also runner number 3 is the third runer from distributor right or is it the other way round?

thanks again guyz for clearing that up

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
In general the 4efte head has pretty even flow but runner number one when looking at the car dead on will be fine. Just make sure you don't tap a weld as this may weaken the structure of the manifold.

If you need any more help don't hesiate to contact us via PM or email :)

Kind Regards,

Toby