Electrical - Charging problem

stevh0

Member +
Last night i accidently went throught a huge freaking flooded road. the problem was not crossing the road but at the speed i hit the water .. must of been somewhere around 100kph.

If parked the water would just be under doorlines, yes the road was flooded.

As i hit the water I realised oh crap .. this is too fast .. maybe it was the wave that went over the car that gave me that idea.

so anyways. about 20km later I noticed my battery light and my Cat light coming on on the dash.

When driving with the lights on there is a huge load that that car just cant handle. it would almost die if i drive with the lights on too long. I drove about 30km without lights at 01 00. thank goodness for road lights!

any ideas where I can start looking?

Alternator?
Fuses?
battery?

Thanx guys

jam

Member +
Your alternator is dead mate dismantle it and have a check your diode and Regulator is out of use.

stevh0

Member +
this is why i love this forum. the response is amazing!

I jumped the car off the Wr450, she started after i checked fuses and retightened the battery clamps.

I also sprayed the belt with some dressing. Started chirping, but the voltage meter runs at 13.13v

With the lights on it dips to 12.44 on idle.

will take it for a drive to charge the bat and see how it goes. If the voltage drops belove 11.5 with the lights on.. I might have a slight sittuation.

stevh0

Member +
took it for a drive it drove fine.

but its losing power somewhere.

the car runs perfectly with no battery leads attached. I dont have a multimeter, but i can almost say that there is no current to and from the battery leads.

any other ideeas?

Sagittarius

Member +
this is why i love this forum. the response is amazing!

I jumped the car off the Wr450, she started after i checked fuses and retightened the battery clamps.

I also sprayed the belt with some dressing. Started chirping, but the voltage meter runs at 13.13v

With the lights on it dips to 12.44 on idle.

will take it for a drive to charge the bat and see how it goes. If the voltage drops belove 11.5 with the lights on.. I might have a slight sittuation.

13.13v is a bit low.. it should produce more than 14V (mostly around 14.4v)

Last edited:

stevh0

Member +
Ive had squeeling belt for ages. It needs tightening I know that. Now im figuring, that i really need to do that.

Its such a mission to get in there with limited tools. Eeek!