engine bay clean up

grum-glanza

Member +
right this is driving me nuts my engine bay looks shocking and i realy want to sort it out and make it look nice can anybody give me info on what to do and rough prices it would be savage if ye might know where i could get some stuff thanks

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
WD40 and a rough scrub is the easiest option.

You could go at it with wet and dry sand paper and then som auto sol but to get it mirror reflective it took me about 3 hours of sanding and polishing on my old rocker cover.

Other option is take it out and spray it after getting a key on it.

Nippon

Member +
Buy some "Gunk" degreaser. Use that with a load of rags and water to clean the crap off everything.

Then do what GT-TD04 said.

You can use Autosol to get the shine back on the metal items.

There are lots of other bits that can look fresher with a paint aswell. Depends what your setup is as to what is left though.

To add some colour you can replace some of the hoses around the bay. Radiator, intercooler, vac hoses etc...

I sticker bombed my battery cover too. Thats an easy way to add some colour.

Bay should start to look much brighter after that.

MD

Nippon

Member +
DSC_0004.jpg

In this pic i had painted the bracket for the TMIC, Engine hoist, manifold heat shield and raditor brackets. I also had blue rad hoses.
You can see the sticker bombed battery sleeve also.

DSC_0017.jpg

added a Painted my rocker cover and painted the top of the radiator in this pic.

DSC_0090.jpg

And after i installed the FMIC i added a few white hoses. Painted the strut brace and throttle pulley guard, hid a few bits of wiring.
The chrome pipes from the FMIC and filter relocation add a bit of bling also.

MD

dark_knight

Member +
mint bay Nippon! :)
did you break/replace that LHS headlight..? it looks spanking new compared to the other..
that last pic really makes me want a fmic :(

grum-glanza

Member +
cool lads thanks as for dirt its clean enuf as there was there was a new engine put in but its the look of the engine i would reli love to wire tuck the engine bay but i dont know how to go about it any ideas what about the abs pump and the brake lines going up the side of the suspension strut can that be removed as mine does work anymore?

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
cool lads thanks as for dirt its clean enuf as there was there was a new engine put in but its the look of the engine i would reli love to wire tuck the engine bay but i dont know how to go about it any ideas what about the abs pump and the brake lines going up the side of the suspension strut can that be removed as mine does work anymore?

ABS can be removed,but im not sure how to be honest,best ask in a new thread.

Wire tucking is time consuming in the extreme if you want to hide 95% of wires.

It'd mean moving the battery to the boot and the fuse box to somewhere inside the cabin (glove box)

If your not confident at soldering and wiring in general I wouldn't attempt it.

Nippon

Member +
mint bay Nippon! :)
did you break/replace that LHS headlight..? it looks spanking new compared to the other..
that last pic really makes me want a fmic :(

Thanks.
Yeah one of the headlights got broken in an accident. Really need to replace the other one. Details are in my members garage.

grum-glanza

Member +
ABS can be removed,but im not sure how to be honest,best ask in a new thread.

Wire tucking is time consuming in the extreme if you want to hide 95% of wires.

It'd mean moving the battery to the boot and the fuse box to somewhere inside the cabin (glove box)

cool thanks i'll see what i can do i'll figure someting out i must get a pic up of the engine bay and see wat can be done with it