engine conversion questions 4efe to 4efte??

binnzie

Member +
right just want a few things answered really.

im dropping a 4efte in my SR as some of you may have seen.

i would want to know....

1 - is there any main problems i may come across, if so what? and how can i correct this?

2 - rough time scale of a engine swap?? there will be 3 to 4 of us doing this (the others have done this before, this is my first engine change)

3 - is the wiring straight forward to do? (im getting the loom ecu and engine all from the same ep)

thanks in advanced,
Chris

finx

Member +
time frame i would say getting the old engine out and the new one in with that many people assuming they all know their way around a spanner would be 4hours. i can do a compleet swap by my self in 7hours

things you will run into

exhaust will be different. the turbo down pipe wont match that of a n/a car so you will need the exhaust system from a turbo car unless u want to make a custom down pipe to match them up but if your going to the hassel you may as well put a full aftermarket one in at the time.

intake manifold may be different dependant on what model n/a engine you have. use the stock 4efte one it is far better.

gearbox
the n/a gearbox isnt any where near as strong as the turbo item so dont go thrashing the balls off it and flat shofiting or launching it because it wont last long. nor will the clutch, you will need the 212mm turbo clutch plate and flywheel.

intercooler
you will need to either get a gt bonnet with the air intake scoope for the intercooler or fit a front mount intercooler at the same time as putting the engine in.

wiring
you should be able to plug the 4efte computer into the n/a loom but some plugs from the n/a engine will need to be put on the turbo engine to suit the loom depending on year and a few other things.

thats all the main stuff i can think off at a brief think
good luck! post some pics of befor and after !

binnzie

Member +
ok cool thanks. About the exhaust. If i just change the downpipe of my aftermarket one now to a turbo one, should that work?

finx

Member +
i have a strong suspicion that that will not work due to the length and format of the n/a exhaust manifold (headers)

binnzie

Member +
na i ment i would be getting a turbo mani but get a turbo downpipe that goes from the turbo to the cat, would that work?

riko666

Member +
My car is slightly different but same platform - I had never actually seen the work done to match up the exhaust, but, I ran a stock turbo downpipe on my stock n/a exhaust system on my Cynos, apparently a little section had to be welded in, would probably be the cheapest option!

finx

Member +
correct that would be the cheapest option but if your going to the hassel you may as well go ahead and get a full exhaust system. the gAINS ARe fantastic

binnzie

Member +
o right. Are the cats diff between a na an a turbo then? Cause surley if i got a turbo mani, then turbo then the turbo down pipe going to the cat would that not work?

finx

Member +
the n/a cat and turbo car are different.
basically goes like this

turbo cat is in the stock down pipe
n/a cat is in the front pipe from the bottom of the extractors to the front section of the exhaust system.

basicly the whole front section of the exhaust system is different in respects to where the flanges are and the shape of the flanges so the stock 4efte down pipe and most off the shelf aftermarket down pipes will not directly match up to the n/a exhaust system you are currently running

to fit the problem you need to

either get an adapter made up to go from the turbo down pipe to the n/a exhaust system
or get a turbo exhaust system to match the turbo down pipe. this would be the prefered option as the turbo exhaust systems are bigger in diameter so there is less restriction after the turbo copmpressor wheel and wastegate which creates more power. n/a exhaust systems are generally smaller diameter than that of turbo engines as they require more back pressure to produce peAK power

binnzie

Member +
hm thats something i didnt know. What about getting a bit of pipe made up to go from the downpipe onto my exhaust now, which is already a larger size?

binnzie

Member +
not sure ill check, how much will it roughly cost to get this done?

as i dont really know anywhere that would do this till i can buy a next exhaust