Engine Help, Wont crank over

GTnomez

Member +
Heres the story.

Finally got round to dropping the engine into the car after a year off road. Swapped all the ancillaries over and connected everything up from the wiring loom. Filled the car with oil and disconnected the fuel in the cabin and removed the king lead so i can prime the engine.

Charged up the battery for like 3 days and went to turn the key yesterday, didnt work and it made a tapping noise (like when a battery is dead) so i figured the battery is a goner as it was sitting for nearly a year also. After a few cranks the gauges etc when dim which also indicated the battery had lost life already.

I picked up a halfords battery which was removed from a working engine (i started the car up a few time and it started fine so it had power). I swapped the battery over and the gauges etc lit up bright so again it seemed fine.

Now i go to crank the ignition (turn it on) and nothing happens?! It just clicks. It doesnt turnover.

Why does this happen? Ive checked the wires that go into the started motor (there is two) i dont see any loose plugs on the loom that i have missed. Is the starter motor not getting a current to kick the flywheel?

Its not suppose to start as i have disabled the fuel and spark but it is still suppose to try to by cranking.

Or have i missed something? All components were working before the car went off road.

Cheers

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
check the earth on the starter motor mate and i think there is a earth on the gearbox too sounds like the clickin is just the solenoid on the startermoter connecting then main circuit for the starter motor but if there is a bad earth then the current wont go through and wont turn over