Engine knock... Big end?

V-Turbo

Fresh Recruit
Hows it goin lads, this is a mates 96 glanza turbo.

Theres a knocking after coming into it, more than likely the big end?

The B.O.V has been disconnected and a dump valve was hooked up but where the big pipe should be on the B.O.V is spraying oil out everywhere.

Id say it is his big end but just before he replaces the engine I said id get another opinion from you fellas, maybe someone will know from experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4nfwezjI8&feature=youtu.be

V-Turbo

Fresh Recruit
Oh yea that bottom end alright.

Spun shell maybe but thats defo bottom end

Thanks for the reply mate, you mean a spun conrod shell?

Is that an easy fix? Like, I think theres 200K kilometres on the clock. Its not really worth fixing if its that bad. But would it be worth my time to pull the shells and have a look? Or is it time for him to start shopping round for a short block?

AdamB

Member +
No need to go spending £££ on a new engine mate. Whip the sump off, pull the con rod caps and check the bearings, also measure the crank. If they seem to be good, then it may be the mains, in which case its best as an engine out job. 9/10 it will be a big end though.

Bearings are about £100 to replace all of them.

V-Turbo

Fresh Recruit
No need to go spending £££ on a new engine mate. Whip the sump off, pull the con rod caps and check the bearings, also measure the crank. If they seem to be good, then it may be the mains, in which case its best as an engine out job. 9/10 it will be a big end though.

Bearings are about £100 to replace all of them.

Yea, I told him Id inspect the engine first before he goes forking out hundreds for no reason. Hes just concerned about the mileage, but I told him not to worry about that.

What do you mean measure the crank? Like, the diameter...?

AdamB

Member +
Yeah measure the big end journal with a micrometer and compare it to the OEM specification. If its out it will need to be reground, may just get away with a polish.

V-Turbo

Fresh Recruit
Ah yeah, I know what you mean. Any idea what the specification is? Thanks for the help man, really appreciate it.

AdamB

Member +
I don't for a 4E, but I'm sure if you do a search it will come up as its been covered a few times :)