Engine management light on! help!

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Hi everyone. when driving my car yesterday the engine management light came on for no apparent reason. the car was still running fine so i tried turning it off and back on again, i also tried disconnecting my battery and leaving it for a while but its still on. when i went back out to my car later on at night it did not start first time, second time it started and cut out and then it started third try. the car is still running fine but the light remains on and it struggles to start when cold. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Hi everyone. when driving my car yesterday the engine management light came on for no apparent reason. the car was still running fine so i tried turning it off and back on again, i also tried disconnecting my battery and leaving it for a while but its still on. when i went back out to my car later on at night it did not start first time, second time it started and cut out and then it started third try. the car is still running fine but the light remains on and it struggles to start when cold. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks!

perform a diag test and report back. http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?290-How-to-Perform-a-Diagnostics-Test

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
ok thanks. will try and do this asap. Do you think it wil be fine to drive, just so i can get it to my work to get it tested?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
ok thanks. will try and do this asap. Do you think it wil be fine to drive, just so i can get it to my work to get it tested?

we dont know what kind of problem you have so we cant say if its fine to drive it or no, you can do the test with a small paperclip at home

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Got my car started just now by jumping it from another battery( just started and cut out without it), started perfectly but wud not take revs and light is still on. Did a diag test and got code 22.

dac69er

Super Moderator
coolant temperature sensor. will be the one with the green plug on the thermostat housing. check the wiring, the connector and the sensor itself.

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Absoloute legend! Found the fault, broken green wire going into the sensor. Do i need to unscrew the sensor to get it out so that i can re wire it?

dac69er

Super Moderator
you should be able to unplug the wiring connector mate.

you can unscrew the sensor but coolant will come out of the hole.

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Ok cool the plug was just stiff to come off. the wire has broken flush with the plug, can i just try and pick out whats left and put the wire in the hole or will this need soldering?

dac69er

Super Moderator
probably not repariable mate. you will either need a new plug or fit some crimp connectors may work.

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Ok this plug isnt going to fix lol. does anyone have a plug with the wires they could sell me?
BTW thanks guys rep added for both of you!

dac69er

Super Moderator
yes mate. not sure if it will work but you may be able to get some connectors to fit it which would do the trick until you get a proper plug

chewy1369

Fresh Recruit
Got my car going again.!!
Nicked a plug from a scrap rover at my work which had the same connection.
Just broke off the outer casing and filed down the middle bit so it was a nice tight fit and then connected up the wires.
Job done!

dac69er

Super Moderator
Got my car going again.!!
Nicked a plug from a scrap rover at my work which had the same connection.
Just broke off the outer casing and filed down the middle bit so it was a nice tight fit and then connected up the wires.
Job done!

bodge tastic. good job!