Engine overheating

5p1ff

Member +
Hey guys, i just got my cylinder head re-torqued over the week end after fitting in the 5e setup. Now my engine is overheating. I cant see any leaks except for a few oil drops which is another thing woring me. I did not use a timing gun to re set up the timing . Would this be a cause to the overheating. I also got oil on traces on my cylinder head.

Any how can some one please give a guide on what to follow after doing a 5e conversion or any engine drop to follow when i do my checks this weekend. Engine specs below
5e block
4efte turbo setup and pistons
Ct9 ported
Tmic uprated
4efte injectors
Same used irradiam spark plugs
Auto ecu
Cone filter

Thanks

5p1ff

Member +
Hey guys, i just got my cylinder head re-torqued over the week end after fitting in the 5e setup. Now my engine is overheating. I cant see any leaks except for a few oil drops which is another thing woring me. I did not use a timing gun to re set up the timing . Would this be a cause to the overheating. I also got oil on traces on my cylinder head.

Any how can some one please give a guide on what to follow after doing a 5e conversion or any engine drop to follow when i do my checks this weekend. Engine specs below
5e block
4efte turbo setup and pistons
Ct9 ported
Tmic uprated
4efte injectors
Same used irradiam spark plugs
Auto ecu
Cone filter

Thanks

Any links would also do.i just need to know if there is something im missing.

Guye

Lifer
Are you overheating regardless of how you drive or only under heavy throttle/high rpm? Did you get all the air out of the coolant system? What is the condition of your radiator/coolant hoses? Although there is no coolant leak, some hoses collapse from the water pump pressure when they are old, is this a possibility? Are you 100% certain you gh is fine? Just some possible scenarios.

5p1ff

Member +
does 120km sound fast enough to cause overheating coz i am sure it shouldnt. My mechanic thinks its the thermostat but can only say so tomorrow when we check. I will also check to see if there is air in the hoses but the main prob is even if i top up the radiator and bottle it will run for 60 km roughly and overheat as in empty no water at all in the rad and bottle.

5p1ff

Member +
Ok Did my checks today,

One of my spark plugs was completely gone so that resolved the 3 stroke engine noise. Need to check with the overheating issue tomorrow just had no time today. I noticed that when my turbo kicks in or going up a hill my temperature spikes. So tomorrow will get rad flush and check if that helps.

I also noticed that I am loosing power after 4-5K RPM so need to check fuel pressure regulator. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

5p1ff

Member +
Check that the thermostat is opening as it should.

Any mayo under the oil cap?

Ok i did notice some mayo under the oil cap but very thin layer... ooo oh please let it not be mixing water. Well there is nothing on my dip stick, but i am however losing alot of oil through my oil return pipes to the tapid cover. I was told that that is a cause of boost spikes so i changed my fuel regulator but it is still leaking i checked again this morning.

I removed my thermostat for now to let the water flow freely. will that damage anything till i can get another one??? :confused:

Fatman

Member +
Why did you get your cylinder head re-torqued?

All your symptoms sound like a blown head gasket to me.

5p1ff

Member +
I did not have a torque wrench the time i put my 5e setup in the engine so wasnt sure if this had anything to do with it. I am going to get pyan (not sure if the spelling is right) but this time i will get two HG , Pretty sure it is 0.5/6 mm.
Does this effect my engine in a negative way?

5p1ff

Member +
Guess i was praying it was not my Head gasket . But i guess it is . I had a guy from a garage do it i saw him do it and am pretty certain i can get it done myself. Is it difficult to do ? Thanx for the info thus far :p

5p1ff

Member +
I did not have a torque wrench the time i put my 5e setup in the engine so wasnt sure if this had anything to do with it. I am going to get pyan (not sure if the spelling is right) but this time i will get two HG , Pretty sure it is 0.5/6 mm.
Does this effect my engine in a negative way?

MY BAD MADE A MISTAKE ON THE thickness of the HG. If i want to double the gasket what is the perfect thickness for my 5e motor with a ct9 hoping to run 1/0.9 bar of boost.