Engine start up and the petrol smell

gtevi

Member +
Since I got my injectors serviced I can smell a really strong fuel smell when first start up and now the engine doesn't want to start I thought mabye the injections went in properly as the can twist a little but ive read thats normal and everything is bolted down tight.
It eventually does 2nd or 3rd attempt. Checked diagnostic and its throwing code 12. Battery is new/ish.
Any help before I take to the mechanic, cheers legends

dac69er

Super Moderator
I have seen code 12 if the car stalls for another reason. I would reset the ECU by disconnecting the fuse or battery for half an hour and then check it again after trying to get it started to see if you get the code every time.

Have all connections been checked around the injector area as well as the ground connection on the inlet near the idle control valve?

The fuel smell may be nothing, but if you nipped one of the Orings when refitting the injectors, it could be leaking from there. I assume you fitted all new seals and the rubber spacer bits too?

gtevi

Member +
Ok il disconnect the battery today. Ill have a look at the inlet control valve, when I find where it is, lol
All the seals on injectors are new they were really hard to push in. I had to line then all up an push them down together. Not sure if that was correct protocol.
Cheers

SKINY

Lifer
Use something like vaseline when installing new injector seals Bud :)
Durex play lotion Is great to as its rubber friendly also :)

gtevi

Member +
Yeah I used a tiny drop of engine oil around the seals, don't know if that's the best for the rubber though.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I tend to install all seals onto the injectors, then I lick the orings and push them into the rail, I then push the whole lot into place. It's a little fiddly, but not too bad.

The idle control valve is on the drivers side end of the inlet manifold. There should be a ground connection bolted to the front bolt of the valve.

gtevi

Member +
So i pulled the injectors out and it turned out I pinched the Orings when fitting them which was causing the fuel leak.
Ill disconnect the battery for half hrs the take her for a drive them see if the code 12 I cleared.