Engine tapping

gokart

Member +
Afternoon all,

Could any of you guys help me with a tapping noise I have noticed. I cannot hear the tap whilst the engine is idling, only when revved, I know there is a tapping noise coming from one of the injectors which stops when the engine has some heat in it. But this tapping carrys on, it also sounds like it is getting worse.

The engine doesn't appear to be using any oil or water etc and has just recently had the oil changed. I will try to attach a couple of video's to the post.

http://vimeo.com/83212360

https://vimeo.com/83212359

Thanks

James

nistarbo

Member +
I can't watch the videos as I'm on my phone ATM. But did u maybe run with no oil at any point during the oil change or maybe use to much engine flush if u did use it.
It could be a sticky valve or something. Hopefully nothing serious. Just take it easy for now

gokart

Member +
I can't watch the videos as I'm on my phone ATM. But did u maybe run with no oil at any point during the oil change or maybe use to much engine flush if u did use it.
It could be a sticky valve or something. Hopefully nothing serious. Just take it easy for now

Nope never done anything like that, infact the car has been run very little in the last 5 years as I've never had much to do with it (it has been covered up ibn my garage)

Luckily the car isn't a daily driver.

5e colin

Member +
take off the rocker cover and inspect the valvetrain

also intake cam tensioner spring might have given way they sound kinda like that then to

gokart

Member +
Ok, so a little update. I have checked all the tappets gap and they are all within tolerance. I also had a check to see if there were any cracks in the manifold but I couldn't see any. Would you guys agree that this may be a possible headgasket failure or something more serious? Maybe little ends are rattling?

5e colin

Member +
just by hand if the circlip/spring inside gave up the gost then u can move the outer cog 1mm or so if its tight it wont move attal!!!!

i found this out when i did my last rebuild and forgotten to tension the cog and it sounded like a fucked engine i thought i fucked up my build then found it loose in the strip down tensioned it and sounded perfect after then