Engine won't turn over. Help no ignition.

Hello I've just done a engine rebuild due to big end had gone. And I had now put it all back together. It was time to wind over the engine for the first time. Now because the battery was flat I had a battery charger connected tO the battery on boost start. I then turned the key to start it and the engine wound over for about a second and then stopped. The ignition lights on the dash don't work anymore. And when you turn the key there's nothing. The lights and horn still work etc but no ignition.

The first thing I thought I would do is check the electrical connections. I had then found that the earth cable that's connected to the battery wasn't connected to the gear box as I forgot to. One cable was still on the body of the car. Just not the gear box earth. So I then connected that then still nothing. I though shit have I blow the starter relay, so I then checked that and that was fine.

What I though of next was to bridge the starter connection with a bit of cable. Now the engine winds over just didn't start. I then took out a ht lead and spark plug to see if there was a spark,NOTHING. I have completely no ignition.

I believe I have blown something as the earth was very week and I had boost start to start it.

What have I done? How do I fix? Thanks.

No ignition after tried to start with charger.

Engine won't turn over. Help no ignition.
Hello I've just done a engine rebuild due to big end had gone. And I had now put it all back together. It was time to wind over the engine for the first time. Now because the battery was flat I had a battery charger connected tO the battery on boost start. I then turned the key to start it and the engine wound over for about a second and then stopped. The ignition lights on the dash don't work anymore. And when you turn the key there's nothing. The lights and horn still work etc but no ignition.

The first thing I thought I would do is check the electrical connections. I had then found that the earth cable that's connected to the battery wasn't connected to the gear box as I forgot to. One cable was still on the body of the car. Just not the gear box earth. So I then connected that then still nothing. I though shit have I blow the starter relay, so I then checked that and that was fine.

What I though of next was to bridge the starter connection with a bit of cable. Now the engine winds over just didn't start. I then took out a ht lead and spark plug to see if there was a spark,NOTHING. I have completely no ignition.

I believe I have blown something as the earth was very week and I had boost start to start it.

What have I done? How do I fix? Thanks.

I've checked all the fuses. And relays. Could it not be that I've blown the Ecu etc... The battery wouldn't stop it from starting as its not even trying to do nothing when you turn the key. Like I said there's no dash lights either. But outside lights and every other componment works.

Ted

Member +
Can't see how youve done damage if you haven't connected the battery pack the wrong way round. One earth that connects down behind the passenger side headlight can affect ignition if not well connected.

That connection is fine aswell. Like I said it wound over fr like 1 sec then stopped. After that no ignition. The starter motor is fine and solonoid, relay fuses. My tutor at college thinks its a possibility that the ecu is fried. Are you sure you think it's just a connection somewhere. Thanks alot.

Ted

Member +
Starter system needs most power. If your battery is dead then your booster pack won't really cut it. Bet you a Tenner a new battery would sort it.

Ted

Member +
Well if you're sure the charger is capable of starting the car then its auto spark time then.

Oh and it still wouldn't explain why none of the ignition lights don't come on. Only the seatbelt light and radiator light comes on. Nothing else. That's saying that it can't be the battery isn't it. Otherwise it wouldn't light up those lights. It's either no lights. Or them all if it was the battery. Thanks.