Exhaust sound (Antilag like)

ahmedsalem89

Member +
hi guys,
when I first installed my 4efte I was running with no exhaust for about a month, it had completely nothing after the cat converter which is just after the turbo, everything was stock back then even the cat was not gutted. at these times when I used to rev the engine till red line/stock rev limit, It did a very loud banging sound exactly like an anti-lag system would do. I used to rev it a lot I was happy with it to be honest :D
after fitting a custom made 2" exhaust The car now sounds like a normal engine which I suppose it should :D

my question is why? what made it sound like an anti-lag system? was it normal?
thanks

Mikey4410

Member +
the thing that made it pop at redline would have been the extra fuel not getting burnt as readily as before redline ,as far as i know redline is were the ecu skips or lowers sparking to stop the engine reving higher than the governed redline.

i might be entirely wrong but the ecu does something to stop revs continuing after redline happens...

ahmedsalem89

Member +
I should've recorded the sound when I ran without an exhaust :D
Would a straight through pipe sound the same with no muffler/silencer? While still maintaining some backpressure?

sam_glanz

Member +
As the other chap said. The bang would of been un burnt fuel, run what ever you like, you don't really need back pressure on a turbo engine either.