external wastegate problem

thorpy

Member +
just had a new td04 kit fitted i used to have one with an actuator and dumpvalve but the new kit is externally gated

does the external wastegate replace the actuator and dumpvalve wasnt sure if it did?

basically left the garage driving home and the boost controller isnt stopping the boost as it should it just keeps going up and up i have to stop accelerating before it blows my engine up

just wondering if any of the vacuum hoses are muddled up or anything? from what i can see there are 3 one goes to the turbo the other 2 to the external wastegate 1 to top of it and 1 to bottom

im just trying to get photobucket to work at the mo to get some pics up but can any1 think of what this could be so far until i upload some pics?

weakboy2

Member +
if your worried you can just connect the bottom port of the waste gate straight to the turbo, should run spring pressure

thorpy

Member +
right then finally got the pics to work im working from left to right, i could be wrong but the 1st pipe goes from boost controller solonoid to bottom of wastegate

2nd one from other side of boost controller solonoid to the turbo

3rd one from around the inlet manifold (not sure what part it goes to) to top of wastegate

could the 2pipes that go to the solonoid need switching round is there a certain flow direction for the solonoid?

21082009019.jpg

21082009020.jpg

21082009021.jpg

21082009022.jpg

goldenvtr

Member +
same watsgate as me by the looks of it.

what boost controller do you have? i would recomend leaving the top wastegate port open and going for a drive to see what base boost pressure is. as long as the side/ottom port has a vacuum feed from somewhere (the turbo is fine as that looks like what you've done)

goldenvtr

Member +
yea it is lol in teh time between the turbo spooling and it creating posotive boost there is vacume there - put a guage on the turbo nipple is you done belive me :p

thorpy

Member +
boost controller is a blitz dual sbc it has 4 settings on it not been altered for over a year now i even turned it down to the lowest setting which is about 9psi to see if it stops at that instead of waiting for it to go over the 15psi which is the top setting as thats a bit risky while i get it sorted

what do you think the problem is then im confused

goldenvtr

Member +
it will be down to your vacume lines or boost controller setup.

does your boost controlesolinoid have 3 or 2 ports?

thorpy

Member +
solonoid has 2ports

if i take the pipe off of the top wastegate port where do i connect that too then or do i just leave it dangling somewhere?

weakboy2

Member +
right, bottom port to the turbo nipple, top port to your OUT port on the solonoid, IN port on the solonoid to a non vacuum boost source, so you can T into the turbo nipple feed to the bottom port of the wastegate if need be. Plus you need to set your EBC to work with an external wastegate if you have been running a stock actuator before.

that should sort it mate :)

thorpy

Member +
will give it a go see what happens not sure how to alter the ebc tho only know how to change the boost settings cant find an option for anything else :(

thorpy

Member +
cant get a pic at the mo im on my phone but its a blitz dual sbc dont think there is many different models of them

thorpy

Member +
right, bottom port to the turbo nipple, top port to your OUT port on the solonoid, IN port on the solonoid to a non vacuum boost source, so you can T into the turbo nipple feed to the bottom port of the wastegate if need be. Plus you need to set your EBC to work with an external wastegate if you have been running a stock actuator before.

just attempting this at the mo what do i need to do with the 3rd pipe the 1 that comes from the inlet manifold just blank it off?

thorpy

Member +

just attempting this at the mo what do i need to do with the 3rd pipe the 1 that comes from the inlet manifold just blank it off?