Few problems left over from clutch change

durmz

Member +
Did my first ever clutch change on the driveway this week, with a mate who doesnt know loads about cars, so was the furthest into get my hands dirty that ive ever been and can happily say its complete, but, as expected when ure not an expert little bits go wrong so hope you can all help me out with these! Thanks v much, 1st thing;

9a49af15.jpg

Where did these come from? As they didnt go back on! Lol 2 big washers

2nd,

0c8f3ca6.jpg

This plug goes into the side of the thermo housing, somehow one of the wires has broken right at the plug, is there much i can do with this? And will it just leave me with no water temp reading while i try get it sorted?

3rd and final problem, i missed the speedo cable when removing the box and pulled it out, i have the cluster out and have fed it back through and am left with this;
4fd96bfb.jpg

Poking out the end there, i got told to super glue it but am not sure to what??

Again any help would be great, and fuck me, do not try this at home if ure not patient or without a friend or not confident lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
those 2 washers are meant to fit on the gear selector cables where they connect to the box. should have one above and one below the bush before you fit the spring clip.

second one is quite hard to see tbh. not sure about glanzas, but if the car seems to run ok then it will just be the temp reading you wont have. would have thought the 2 wire plug would be the same as the one on the GT, but im not sure.

as for the speedo cable, just plug it back in surely? bit confused as to what you mean mate!?!?

durmz

Member +
Yes thats right i remember now uve said it, thatl take 2 seconds then.

Is there anything i can do about the plug? As the wires broke right at the plug?

The cable is loose is what i mean, when i took the box off i pulled the cable out from the cluster, so ive fed it back through but do i need to fix it bak in orrr just leave it that way and plug i back in??

dac69er

Super Moderator
you could cut a bit back of the circular plastic bit, strip back what wire is there and solder it beck together. then put some tape round it and that should sort it.

the inner speedo cable will pull out from the outer, mine was the same. when i changed mine i just pulled the old one out and slipped the new one in. dont put any super glue near it. just put it all back together, it wont go anywhere once both ends are connected.

scot-ish

Member +
get a plug from some1 breaking a starlet, have them leave some tails on it, and then solder and shrink wrap, and your away.

that third pic, that goes onto the back of the cluster?

durmz

Member +
I see so the speedo cable literally slides in and that be it?

Ok thanks for ideas on the plugs chaps, good ideas, i need to think outside the box more haha, i like the 2nd idea scot-ish

Should be ready to go
Tomorow then! Cant wait!

durmz

Member +
Got first two bits sorted but fucked on the coolant temp sensor plug, car wont start without it, fault code 22, coolant temp sensor short or open circuit, grrr, so need to get a plug asap

scot-ish

Member +
you could botch it for the time being mate.

see the plastic part, around, where the broken cable is, with a set of wire snips, strip that plastic back.

so cut here, where the red lines are,
coolant2.jpg

this will then give you access to the cable, strip the insulation back, this will give you enough access to be able to solder it, and then wrap it with some insulation tape, this should tide you over untill you get a new sensor.

durmz

Member +
I did this and got it right back giving me like 4mm to play with but i couldnt get the solder to stick to it, think my soldering iron could be pants, might not be getting hot enough, problems problems