Foglights' cap

ryu

Fresh Recruit
Merry Xmas fellow Starlet/Glanza owners.

I'm getting ready to do some touch up paint works on my Glanza's front bumper, so I've removed it for these days.

I also got the chance to do some restoration of the foglights' covers. Now they are once again clear... as they were supposed to be :)

Anyway, my question is... I use an H3 55W 3000K HID Kit in my fog lights. The bulbs are way too bright as I hoped when purchasing them... but the outcome light pattern is not so good. As I drive by other cars, I can see my foglights' light on them, at almost 90 degrees angle!

I know that glanza's foglights bulb should be an H3d, or an H3c would also be OKish... but these were not available as a 55W Xenon kit :(

Do you think removing the reflective cap ( http://hadjigeorgiou.com/img_0496.jpg ) from the foglights assembly will improve the situation? I don't really mind if the result will be blinding the other drivers, as never use my foglights, unless there is heavy rain or fog. Under such conditions, the other drivers will barely see me anyway.

Has anybody tried this? Will removing the cap, improve my visibility? Or the light will just spread around?

Thanks,
Frank

dac69er

Super Moderator
the light wasnt designed for an HID lamp so it will never be particularly good to be honest mate.

why did you worry about fitting an HID kit to the foglights? why not just the main lights and then stick some uprated correct style lamps in the foglights?

ryu

Fresh Recruit
Oh well... you are right... but with the low prices of Xenon kits lately, I couldn't resist :)

I've been using a Bi-Xenon kit for headlights for the past 4 years or so, and I was very happy with the result. So I decided to go for Xenon foglights too. But I have to admit that the result is not as expected.

dac69er

Super Moderator
oh well, you live and learn i guess!
up to you mate. you could try and fiddle about to try and get a better beam pattern but i reckon it would be a waste of time.

how much light do you want anyway? im happy enough with my standard H4s on my car, and in the uk you cant drive with foglights on unless its foggy anwyay!