Forged 4E start up

elison

Member +
Hi mates,

I recently finished a forged 4e build with all and everything new. waterpump, oilpump, all toyota gaskets, mls head gasket, arp headbolts and main studs, wossners pistons and scat rods with acl bearings and all other mods for a forgie.

Im about to fire it up for the first time and just want to get some opinions and ideas on running in and oil use.

Planning on using castrol 10w40 for starting it up and running it in up to 1000km. changing oil and filter intervals at 10, 100, 500 and 1000km. After that to castrol syntec or synblend 10w40.

Running it in using the streets. we do have some good roads here on the islands some goos stretchs combined with some minor hills.

Should i use a richer or leaner than normal a/f ratio or just the basic rule of thumb? 11.8 under load, 14.7 cruise.

Any info and suggestions are welcome from experienced and experts and all.

Thanks in advance :rockon:

4efteboost

Member +
Im pretty sure that for running in a new engine your better off using a mineral oil thats specifically made for running in newly built engines for the first 1000miles, it is meant to help with the rings bedding in etc. most people do oil changes at 50miles. then again at 250, then again at around 700 then at 1000miles and then move to a fully synthetic oil

elison

Member +
Thnx for the info mate. I got adviced also on mineral oil. But here on the island we are a bit limited in oil choices. Mostly what we have are the common grades like straight 30, 40 or 50 in a couple of brands and most of the multi grades and synthetics.

Anynother suggestion?

H_D

Member +
I strongly suggest you use mineral oil as your piston rings will not bed in properly without it,
You need to do an oil and filter change after the 1st 50 miles then keep changing the oil and filter after every 150-200 miles untill you get to 1000 miles.
After the 1st 1000 miles the engine should have bedded in and you can start using normal oil.

You also need to prime the engine before the 1st time you fire it up.

Do it right and do it once.

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
I strongly suggest you use mineral oil as your piston rings will not bed in properly without it,
You need to do an oil and filter change after the 1st 50 miles then keep changing the oil and filter after every 150-200 miles untill you get to 1000 miles.
After the 1st 1000 miles the engine should have bedded in and you can start using normal oil.

You also need to prime the engine before the 1st time you fire it up.

Do it right and do it once.

x2. and don't be a pussy with the engine. Put it under a lot of load and use engine breaking to put the rings under stress. This ensures the engine maintains its health for a long period.

GP82

Member +
Millers do a 10 - 40 running in oil and has some good additives in there to give your engine some sort of protection. Used it with great success as have many with good results, engine does not smoke, does not eat up oil or water. Don't worry about A/F too much as long as they are not silly rich so to introduce bore wash. Main thing is get the timing set up, run 5 - 7 psi boost as the running in oil cannot support high bearing loads. Run the motor in for a hour max, let it cool, change oil + filter.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i did a stock rebuild but didnt replace the rings. i just ran the car for a tanks worth of fuel and then changed the oil and filter. if it was cleaned and built properly you shouldnt have to change the oil that often.

low boost, vary the revs and the load as much as possible. its quite hard to do on the road, but backroads help :)