Fuel Consumption in winter

Amd1691

Member +
Hi guys
just wondering if dats normal to have less MPG in this freezing weather.
Had a considerable fall in MPG fo the Glanza.
Post ur winter MPGs.
Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
fuel consumption will be more until the car reaches its operating temperature. as its so cold it will take longer to reach this.

also, colder air, means more fuel is added.

this is the same with pretty much any car. how much of a fall in mpg are we talking here?

Vglanza

Member +
Ive a Blitz ECU, mines always awful lol id cry if id try too work it out, i just keeping pumping it in.

daz gt

Member +
mines gone down to but i put that down to the weather and also driving most places in 3rd due to the snow.lol but much better than the 13mpg i was getting in the impreza!

Amd1691

Member +
Thanks to ma Iphone i can keep track of my usage. I was getin like 32km/l as mines stil in Km, and now i get like 10km/l. I wud say dats a considerable decrease.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
My work car, a Diesel Octavia has had a 2-3mpg fall acording to its computer but I account it to driving alot slower so taking longer getting places, more traffic jams an all.

Paul_JJ

Member +
189 miles done yesterday in horrible driving conditions, with the speed min 10 mph max 77 mph! Loads of snow, the worst M1 I've experienced in my Life, driving in London for 1.5 Hours - surprisingly spent less than half a tank of 95 ron Petrol!!!!!!! Surprised myself, this is the best MPG I've ever had on my car!

1) Snow tyres, toyo snowproxes - amazing grip, no wheelspin
2) Ice and Snow gearbox settings
3) Cardboard in front of the radiator (size of the number plate)

Paul_JJ

Member +
Thanks to ma Iphone i can keep track of my usage. I was getin like 32km/l as mines stil in Km, and now i get like 10km/l. I wud say dats a considerable decrease.

If your in KM - count in xx litres per 100 KM - example - 6 L per 100 KM - good MPG, 4L per 100KM - Prius Mpg! 12 L per 100km - 4x4 MPG.

dark_knight

Member +
6 liters per 100km

@Paul_JJ: 6l/100km would mean highway driving right..? not necessarily city driving..
that would also assume a speed of say 80~110kmph, since i know the faster you go then the more you are fighting the air and you just end up spending more gas trying to push the air out of the way.. :)

Paul_JJ

Member +
@Paul_JJ: 6l/100km would mean highway driving right..? not necessarily city driving..
that would also assume a speed of say 80~110kmph, since i know the faster you go then the more you are fighting the air and you just end up spending more gas trying to push the air out of the way.. :)

6L per 100km is very good. Yeah some say 60 mph (100 kmph) is the best speed for fuel economy but I think it would depend a LOT on the gearbox and the way you drive, on my car in particular with an Auto gearbox doing 50 or 70 mph doesn't make much difference. I have 2500 RPM doing 100 kmph.

dark_knight

Member +
gearbox ratios?

@Paul_JJ: what gear ratios do you have on yours..?! 100kmph@2,500rpm is unreal..! i do the same speed at 3,000 revs.

my trannie is a C56 / 02A with the following gear ratios:
1st: 3.166
2nd: 1.904
3rd: 1.392
4th: 1.031
5th: 0.815 and
R: 3.250 with a final gear ratio of 4.312 and currently running 85w-90 oil..

Paul_JJ

Member +
@Paul_JJ: what gear ratios do you have on yours..?! 100kmph@2,500rpm is unreal..! i do the same speed at 3,000 revs.

my trannie is a C56 / 02A with the following gear ratios:
1st: 3.166
2nd: 1.904
3rd: 1.392
4th: 1.031
5th: 0.815 and
R: 3.250 with a final gear ratio of 4.312 and currently running 85w-90 oil..

Don't know what ratios....
It's a Auto and my differential is massive!

30 MPh is 1st
70 Mph in 2nd-

all that before hitting the red line!

dark_knight

Member +
redline

that's very spirited driving to hit 30mph in 1st. i often shift at about 4,500 revs most days. after my full boost checks in, i'm only on-boost for about 3 or 4 seconds before the next gear change. car pulls perfectly and i never need to rev hard to get past anything. maybe i should redline it one day and see just how much it can sprint.. :cool:

dark_knight

Member +
theoretical top speed

thanks Rev. nice site. repped! :)

so my theoretical top speed would be around 146mph (235kmph) on my 205.50.15 tires and driving in top gear at about 7,500 revs assuming fuel cut hasn't got to me yet.. :)
my speedo needle would break! unless i had a mph converter installed.. :D

Rev

Member +
May be a little less if you have the stock ecu , there is the rev limiter and fuel cut to consider _ _ I think it peaks at around 6800 some one else will know exactlty. Have been told the needle keeps going.