Fuel Cut - How Close Am I?

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Right,

This is my first turbo car so prepare for some noob questions lol.

I bought my glanza with a Buddy club Cat back and HKS SSQV other than this it is completely standard. So it still has Boost Limiter in 1st and 2nd Still runs .3 and .9 (I think) In low and high boost respectively.

I have since bought a front mount kit, HKS Actuator and Decat pipe.

I'll be buying a manifold once I get paid.

How close am I to needing management due to the Fuel Cut once all this is fitted?

Thanks

James

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
At .9 I'd expect it to be hitting Fuel cut, it'll be damn close if its not hitting it, a cold night will prob see fuel cut.

If she's completly stock it should only run 0.65bar I think in high boost, 3rd and up.

dark_knight

Member +
thrasher

@spuddy: x2. there's too many other variables but this description sounds like it's cutting it a little close. it will also depend greatly on your driving style/habits - if you can't go for a spin without thrashing it, you're better off just getting management dude.. :)

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
My boost gauge seems to be getting up to .8/.9 In 3rd and above in high boost.

But It is standard, so I'm quite confused now. Lol

And management it is.

I have a friend who said not to touch the fuel cut defenders would you all agree?

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

I would be fine fitting the mods and never pressing high boost wouldn't I until I could get management?

akyakapotter

Member +
check you actuator if its gold its the same as mine a jam high pressure one and behind the glove box i found a jam fcc hence why i wouldn't hit fuel cut maybe it has parts on it you don't no about :D

dark_knight

Member +
fuel cut defenders

@BigMoylan: i'd say the same thing. stay away from FCDs unless you have ALL the supporting mods to allow proper fueling, charge cooling and boost management for your engine.

the whole point of fuel cut is that it's a safety feature to evade possible engine damage resulting from running too much boost (pressure) or fueling too lean among other things. only go the FCD route if you are planning to run power levels way past the safety envelope of the stock engine's components..

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for that. I'm not really planning big power at the moment. I'd like to break 200bhp I've been told this is possible on a hybrid turbo so for now that is my goal.

Cheers for the help :)

dark_knight

Member +
power to the wheels

no problem mate. glad to be of assistance. remember too that big power will mean you review your clutch as well. the stock clutch may not be able to handle too much juice so if it's slipping or wearing out too fast, consider alternative options..

bottom line is, the power lurking under your engine bay is useless if you can't get it to the road.. :)

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Yeah I know that that's why I don't want too much power. Keep it quick with LSD so it can still put the power down and go from there :)

I've just thought. Would a boost controller be able to stop fuel cut before management is needed?

As a cheap quick fix?

I would be able to get management and hybrid turbo once my old car sells so it won't be for long. I just have all these goodies doing nothing.

Cheers spacecraft

dark_knight

Member +
ebc vs. mbc

yes. a BC would help keep your horses in check since in essence, it would be stopping excessive boost/pressure build-up - higher than your stock/current setup can take - which is one of the causes of fuel cut. is the one you will be plugging in an electronic or manual one..? ensure you tune it properly to get the desired boost levels.. :)

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
I have no idea. I've been offered one for 150 I'll find out more about it and let you know as you seem to be the man in the know.

Thanks

dark_knight

Member +
boost creep

@BigMoylan: why not wait until you can do a good and final tune instead of getting the BC temporarily..? as AdamB says, the BC won't stop creep and you'll have to find an/other way/s of managing that.. :)

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
Because I'm impatient lol. If that's what you advise then I'll probably do that. Would the actuator e able to stop boost creep? (what is boost creep?)

And the bc is A Greddy profec b spec II

dark_knight

Member +
boost creep

hehehe.. patience pays my man. you wouldn't wana ruin your engine by running it hard without supporting mods.. you may end up breaking something.. :(

there was a very easy-to-understand article on boost creep done by Toby a while back. it's a bit of a long read but it should answer all your questions about creep.. :teach:

about your greddy profec b-spec II, i wouldn't be able to give any word on it since i haven't set up or used one personally. maybe another member on here can give their 2 cents worth.. :)

Last edited:

BigMoylan

Fresh Recruit
That's an interesting read. Thanks for that.

I'm going to have to wait till I sell my car then buy management and hopefully a hybrid ct9 get the little bits and put them all on together to save on constant remapping.

Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it :).