Fuel light not working after removing clocks cluster

Tobz91

Member +
Removed my cluster today to fix a broken odometer and I knocked the fuel needle so I tried repositioning it.

Once back in the fuel light decided not to work, strangely the gauge did mess about a few times showing 1/2 tank, it's since dropped slowly to the empty position.

The light should be on as it's running on fumes, I went to the petrol station after running it near on dry and put £7 in (tight on money at the mo') so I'm unsure as to if the gauge is functional it did seem to move a slight amount.

I tested it with a bridge link(with bulb still in the cluster) positive side of bulb to positive source I got no light, when I done it to a negative source I got a light.

It seems that the feed into the cluster isn't supplying negative so perhaps it's just coincidental it happened after removing the clocks?

The car spends every night on a hill could this have jammed the sensor?

Any ideas what/how to check?

Thanks

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Im pretty sure the light and the gauge work off different sensors. If you knocked the needle out then your car probably isnt empty yet as Im sure the fail safe light would come on!

Last edited:

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
oopps, didnt read the rest of your post. It could have always been faulty and you just disturbed it when you removed the cluster?