Garrett Whinning !

FeNder

Member +
heya everyone ,
i got a new gt28 , only done 200miles at mosr , installed on a forged engine ,
it had that usual sucking whistle sound , then it suddenly developed a supercharger whine abruptly , and got laggier in the process aswell ,
its got a filter on , and all piping was clean ,
when the engine is shut down , i could actually hear fading grinding noise ,
im afraid bearings or one of the wheels/shaft has gone ?!

fastglanza

Member +
the noise after the engine is shut off is normal..since the turbo is still spinning (pretty fast too)

make sure the pipes didnt have anything left inside like paper used to block it when u rebuilt the engine..

you'll know when its dead tho as it wont make any boost and you'll hear a loud grinding noise when driving. also u'll feel loads of shaft play

did u install with the oil restrictor?

but i know of 2 gt28's relatively low mileage (both brand new) and both shat themselves out of the blue with no warnings (1 was mine and the other was a friend) Not trying to scare you or anything LOL but just wanted u to kno they're pretty weak

FeNder

Member +
yeh mate i bought it new out the box , i heard of them shitting out new lol !
well i know it should make a shut down noise but this ones kidna rough ,
so far it reaches 1 bar quick and goes to 1.4 no problem , doesnt smoke ,
but sounds weird , n i couldnt find an oil restrictor in time !
ill take it off tomorow check the shaft/wheels and so..

FeNder

Member +
okay ppl this is what happened , part of the weld on one of the runners was weak and developed a pin point hole , those metal fragments were sucked in ,
made their way to the turbine wheel and killed it , threw out the balance and destroyed the CHRA , 300 mile brand new turbo down the drain...

29092009036.jpg

29092009037.jpg

29092009038.jpg

29092009039.jpg

FeNder

Member +
indeed , wish it was a td04 , those chra are usually in the 800$ bracket ,
na i bought it off a trader some time ago , now im doubting all the welds

Rory

Lifer
Go to the trader that sold you the manifold and explain the situation.
Hopefully they can be of some assistance to you.

Welds shouldnt just collapse.

bucketep91

Member +
i feel your pain dude, i recentley fucked my hybrid after 1 day! but that was my own fault for temp meshing it till i got a new hotside fmic pipe as mines was fouling the relocation kit:(

FeNder

Member +
yeh the compressor side of things is okay , the turbine wheel took all the beating !
problem is i got the mani around 3 yrs ago and i only got around to fitting it last month i wouldnt know where i stand

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
yeh the compressor side of things is okay , the turbine wheel took all the beating !
problem is i got the mani around 3 yrs ago and i only got around to fitting it last month i wouldnt know where i stand

but was new when fitted?

FeNder

Member +
yeh sure , was new , i took some time gathering the parts n it only got installed lately , ill try getting a pic of the defect

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
not good at all :( well i dont think a trader can help you after that long.. mani looks like its brand new? cos they can tell you it was well used..?

FeNder

Member +
yeh thats the problem i took a long time to get it on , anyone can speculate that ive been using it all along , what can u do