Gearbox problem - need help :'(

Agod

Member +
Hi guys.
So basically my car has been sounding bit loud for a little while. It seems its the gearbox causing the problem. Yesterday it sounded a lot worse and whilst driving popped out of gear a couple of times. Seems that in 4th it is trying to pop it out of gear now.
I changed my clutch not that long ago and my mechanic told me my gearbox bearings looked a little worn.

What do u guys think the problem is? just the gearbox bearings? synchro? new box needed?

Thanks

Agod

Member +
Also bit of a stupid Q mebbe but is there anyway to check the level of how much gearbox oil is in there?

Texx

Super Moderator
Jumping out of gear is likely to be caused by a worn shift fork not engaging the the hub sleeve correctly onto the gear, or the spline teeth worn on either or both the hub sleeve and gear. Does it jump out of more than one gear or does it only happen in 4th?

Worn shaft bearings could cause the problem, but there would have to be a lot of float to cause a hub sleeve to jump off of the gear splines. With that amount of float you'd expect to have the same problem regardless of which gear was selected and you'd also most likely experience difficulty selecting all gears.

Either way the box would have to be stripped to find the cause, if you find any gear or hub sleeve issues then it'll probably be more cost effective to fit another box that's in better condition.

Texx

Super Moderator
Also bit of a stupid Q mebbe but is there anyway to check the level of how much gearbox oil is in there?

Remove the level bung on the front (radiator side) of the box, if no oil runs out then use a cable tie bent to a right angle about an inch from the end and gently lower it into the filler hole. When you pull the cable tie back out you'll be able to tell how much lower the oil level is compared to the level bung. If there's no oil on the cable tie when you pull it out, then you'd best top the oil up sooner rather than later.

Agod

Member +
Ok well i think it popped out of 3rd yesterday and 4th a couple of times. If u stop accelerating and leave in 4th i can feel it trying to kick the gear out like a knocking via gear leaver. Does sound quite bad when driving bit like a helicopter kind of sound. Im going mechanic 1st thing tom morning but just trying to guage how much of a pain my bank balance will be in.

Like i say my mechanic changed my clutch within the last 6 months so would have thought he would have noticed if the box was damaged. all he mentioned was "gearbox bearings" needed changing. Why he didnt change them i dunno.

Texx

Super Moderator
all he mentioned was "gearbox bearings" needed changing. Why he didnt change them i dunno.

He wouldn't have been able to determine the condition of the bearings from just removing the box, the box needs to be stripped first. Unless he was talking about the clutch release bearing, but that should really be replaced along with the rest of the clutch components.

I'd say your problem is most likely due to a worn shift fork, more specifically the fork that engages the hub sleeve between 3rd and 4th gear. Chances are though, the jumping out of gear has caused some gear spline damage. I'd be looking for another box that's in good condition.