Gearbox rebuild woes, any suggestions

c3dpo

Member +
2 weeks ago (from Sat) I took my broken gearbox in to be rebuilt, and was quoted 675, i know alot of you have said this is steep as I took the box and will collect myself.

But #I agreed as he said it would be done by Thursday, LAST THURSDAY!

He rang me the other day saying my gb was so fucked they've had to order another reconditioned one, check it out for my warranty.

Fair enough. but it hasnt showed up yet apparently this new courier has is???

I've paid no money, but they got my box, I got another one hear thats fucked. So if anyway can reccommend a decent place even if its 30mile drive, and cheaper i will do that.

Bastards, as if that came today MOT was booked for tomorrow, 18months without her :()

c3dpo

Member +
Crunching hard when ifchangde, if in geaar sounded like metal grinding chunking all sorts.

I've needlessly replaced both drive shafts, drop links, even a new bloody alloy.

The other gb I have crunches 2nd hard always and 3rd if it goes, but just as bad as the one they have? :(

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Gear crunching is easy fixed, but when you say it sounded like there was metal grinding and clunking that sounds expensive, could be a broken gear or diff, etc.

It would have been alot less expensive to have shipped the gearbox off to one of the traders on here but thats besides the point.

I'd ask them exactly what parts are broken in the original box. The other box you have only needs 2nd gear and 3rd gear syncros replaced roughly £20 each.

c3dpo

Member +
Cheers guys,

Will give them a call today and ask for an ETA, might contact the traders for max cost incuding shipping, as a bit over 700 im not fussed if it then works and is done quickish :)

Now to find which traders rebuild,

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
im sure your gearbox woes are not as bad as mine mate!

reason i went to a local company woth a good name, is that i can pop in and see the box whenever.
good luck tho mate, at least toyota not messin u about like me.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Cheers guys,

Will give them a call today and ask for an ETA, might contact the traders for max cost incuding shipping, as a bit over 700 im not fussed if it then works and is done quickish :)

Now to find which traders rebuild,

If you had of lived near me I could have got it rebult for £150-£200!!!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
You supply the parts and he simply rebuilds the parts you want. Typically most people want 1st-4th gear syncros or 1st-5th

You basically paying the labour.

c3dpo

Member +
Mine needs parts from the moon it seems, surely cant be that hard *HE says, wondering whether to open the other box with crappy mechanical knowledge and skills* :homer:

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
mines similar to spuddy's it costs me 250 to strip and rebuild the box and have the seals replaced.
then u add parts on top of that.
but toyota are expensive 3rd gear is 114 quid.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
how much do the parts cost approx?

From memory its £24 for 1st syncro, £23 for 2nd, £21 for 3rd, £17 for 4th and not sure about 5th, then you oil is anywhere from £40-£80 depending on what you want in it.

When you start replacing gears its expensive, remeber for each gear as we know them there are 2 cogs, if you've drove on with a broken gear then the final dirve and output shaft are going to be damaged beyond use, these together are £360.

Cheapest option is get a gearbox with bad syncros and just replace the syncros.

If you do needs gears, shafts and final drives I have about 3 stripped boxes laying all over the place up at East Coast Customs. I wouldn't be after much if u needed parts but you'd need to know what you need.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
spuddy have u got a 3rd gear from a c56 gearbox in good nick??

I'd be 99% sure I do, I'll try and call in with ECC on the way home and do some digging, would it be both the cogs u need or just 1?

Hmm actually I think its a C52 set I have, I'll count the teeth and let ya know what I have. It will fit, just you will have a slightly longer 3rd gear if u wanted it.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
let me know matey, its just toyota sent a new gear and syncro ring, and the syncro ring doesnt fit snuggle, moves as freely as a spinning wheel.
yet new ring fits my old 3rd gear.
how many teeth does a c56 3rd gear have??
or the c52 3rd.lol
PM me dude as im off to work in minute.....

c3dpo

Member +
Apparently mine will be ready sometime Monday >_<

Whats the max I should pay if it was torn to pieces, (they sourced another recon and took it apart to make sure ok for my waruntee). REmember I delivered and will be collecting and fitting the box myself.

Cheers