Grinding Sound!!

Rizzy

Member +
Hey I Have A Grinding Sound When Driving And It Only Dissapears When I Turn Left, What Could This Be?? Friends Have Suggested Bent Discs, Cv Joint, Or Bearings Any Of These A Possibilty??

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like a wheel bearing to be mate. could be the brake pads loose in the carriers too.

get the car up in the air and give them a good check over

Rizzy

Member +
sounds like a wheel bearing to be mate. could be the brake pads loose in the carriers too.

get the car up in the air and give them a good check over

Im not too clued up about what im looking for exactly? and also, should i be driving the car? and if it is the bearings is it a simple fix?

Rizzy

Member +
if it helps, the sound was only a random repetitive sound when i went over 50, but yesterday i got brand new front tyres and laser wheel alignment done, only after did this new grinding sound appear, which goes when i steer towards left

dac69er

Super Moderator
if its the bearings and you dont have access to a press then its not easy.

i wouldnt drive the car if the bearing is so gone its moving like that. i bought a car with both wheel bearings badly gone and the driveshaft was the only thing holding the hub together.

jack the front of the car up and put your hand at the top and bottom of the wheel and try and twist it to see if you have any play in it.

Rizzy

Member +
if its the bearings and you dont have access to a press then its not easy.

i wouldnt drive the car if the bearing is so gone its moving like that. i bought a car with both wheel bearings badly gone and the driveshaft was the only thing holding the hub together.

jack the front of the car up and put your hand at the top and bottom of the wheel and try and twist it to see if you have any play in it.

if it turns out to be bearings what is the fastest and cheapest fix? to buy a 2nd hand hub and get it fitted on? if so does the EP82 have same hub as a standard starlet?

dac69er

Super Moderator
hubs are different between abs and non abs. you will also need to measure the diameter of the hub where the brake disc slips over. there are two different sizes. 54mm for the older GTs and 55mm for the rest.

an n/a one will fit but you will have to ensure these measurements are the same.

the most satisfactory way to do it would be to replace the bearing as then you know its 100%. you could buy a complete replacement hub and the bearing could be already gone or on its way out.

Rizzy

Member +
hubs are different between abs and non abs. you will also need to measure the diameter of the hub where the brake disc slips over. there are two different sizes. 54mm for the older GTs and 55mm for the rest.

an n/a one will fit but you will have to ensure these measurements are the same.

the most satisfactory way to do it would be to replace the bearing as then you know its 100%. you could buy a complete replacement hub and the bearing could be already gone or on its way out.

I think I will take your advice, going to have it looked at by someone tomorrow, to confirm it is indeed the bearings and order replacement off camskill, seems to be cheapest I can find. thank you so much for the help, rep added :)