Handbrake stuck on

Paton

Member +
I'm at work right now and the back of my car has decided to lock up a bit at the back right of the car I think. I used the handbrake and then went to leave it in gear but noticed it had got stuck.

Trying to get it loose by just driving back and forth but its not budging. I can drive the car a bit but its not exactly ideal as the whole carpark is iced up and there's no traction to try and get it free.

I was looking for the handbrake mechanism at the back of the car but I'm not sure what it looks like really and what to touch to free it.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't really want to phone the breakdown service.

Paton

Member +
It's got like a little rubber gaiter bit just along from it aye ? it definitely looks more compact than on the other side so thats the problem it would seem.

Where's the best place to pull on it? I'm thinking of tieing something to it to yank it

Give it a try man worked for me last year just dont leave it on the handbreak after because it will freeze again from the water you put on.

Paton

Member +
aye its like glass doesn't really help. Drove it a good bit around the car park but it didn't do anything

mcbeal_88

Member +
i drove mine for about half a mile to a mile and it didnt help the disc was just getting very hot so didnt want to risk doing anymore damge.tried anti freeze on it maybe abit of a noob thing to do but i didnt know what was causing it to be stuck on.is there much you can do to prevent this happening?just leave it in gear with no handbrae on?

Paton

Member +
Phew.. found a can of WD40 in the cupboard here and managed to get it released by just driving it forward after spraying it all to fuck.

Suppose all that needs to be done now is for the cable to be reset.

Guess what I'll be carrying in the car from now on.