Handling Mods (What To Do)

Crazy_eyes

Member +
Whats the best thing to do about my handling (Don't have a lot of spare cash so can not afford a set of coilovers at the moment)

Cars on standard suspension with Rays Wheels, Ive had the tracking done and cars alot better (as in not all over the road under hard accelaration) but the handling still seems crap.

Is it worth me buying rods / braces do i just take things easy untill i can afford a set of coilovers.

cheers

Paul_JJ

Member +
Start with the rear antiroll bar, better if Adjustable.
Replace all the bushes
Replace the engine mounts
Rear Strut Brace
Try to get a set of lowered springs with the shocks in used condition

Crazy_eyes

Member +
how much lower can you go on standard suspension with 15's as the car cam with lowered suspension but i removed it and put standard on it as it was rubbing on the rear archs

Gary91

Member +
there have been a few decent 2nd hand sets for sale for around £400-500. Not sure about differences but they do ask which you have when ordering so there must be something slightly different.

Gary91

Member +
I would say so. Adjustable height, adjustable dampening, camber adjustment and more confidence round corners. Definately worth the money. I have spent alot more than I thought I would on the car in such a short time.

STARLET N/A

Member +
^^ if you cant wait and want a upgrade, I would recommend lowering the car by 35mm on apex spring and poly bushing other parts like, anti-roll bar bushing, and fitting a Anti-lift kit ect.

these upgrades (apart from the springs) will go nice with your coilovers anyway

Paul_JJ

Member +
You can lower up to 40mm with no hassle, Both EP82 and EP91 interchangeable so you can buy either of the suspension. Meister R definitely fit both with no problem.
Powerflex is a good stuff. You need to understand that if you do a lot of miles, or your road surface around your are is not very smooth - the coilovers is not the best choice. Yes the handling is improved a lot, but the comfort is really bad. Don't forget about the tyres as well.

I would definitely start with the rear ARB and the Bushes and then within time save some money and get a set of good suspension.

laskt9

Member +
What about anti lift kit! No one has suggested that yet! Well worth it.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Paul_JJ

Member +
What about anti lift kit! No one has suggested that yet! Well worth it.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Well it would depend on your suspension. Having the coilovers it doesn't make a lot of a difference. With soft suspension indeed it would help, but if you plan to stiffen your suspension in the future I wouldn't recommend it.

Arnold

Lifer
I went for coilovers first and the handling was no where near good enough. Since fitting poly engine mounts, roll bars and braces things have improved. Good tyres definitely help too

dac69er

Super Moderator
^^ if you cant wait and want a upgrade, I would recommend lowering the car by 35mm on apex spring and poly bushing other parts like, anti-roll bar bushing, and fitting a Anti-lift kit ect.

these upgrades (apart from the springs) will go nice with your coilovers anyway

apex springs are crap, i wouldnt touch them.

coilovers and bushes/balljoints etc would be a good start.

MeisterR

Lifer
Good Coilovers is a nice starting point, as it will also high light other bits of the suspension you need to address.
Like other said, bushes, mounts, etc... if they are worn they needs to be replace.

I personally prefer to make sure all bushes are not worn, get coilovers, and keep the standard ARB.
Then move on from there to see what else I need.
Tyres is also something you don't want to skim out on... you don't have to go mega expensive, but don't expect Nangkang to grip like Bridgestone.