HDI intercooler questions Doing Research.

Hi all haven't posted here in a while. I previously had on two garret turbos 28r and 28rs with 2.25 intercooler piping fabricated to minimize the use of silicone hoses and clamps, estimate fabrication cost is like 500bds which is 250USD to mount an intercooler and get the piping ran and install bov. To get fabrication done without mounting a cooler is about 350 I believe. Price of a good size cooler is about 450 bds so that adds up to about $1230BDS give or take for price of an extra pipe or two. Roughly 600 plus USD.

I chose 2.25 piping cause the throttle body is 2.25 so I wanted to keep everything uniformed.

Now I am back on a ct9 with stock top mount on a 5efte stock 5efhe rods and stock 4efte pistons. I hate the stock top mount and I am looking for a front mount set up. I was figuring a huge cooler like the HDI or what i had before maybe too big for the ct9 but as I will be upgrading to something bigger in the hopefully near future I don't want to buying two separate kits. I'd like to just have to change the hot pipe or part of it to accommodate the new turbo.

I'd like to know how those of you with the HDI kit work with the stock ct9 and exactly what size is the piping. Cause on their site their universal pipes all seem to be 2.5 but looking at the ep91 kit i see there is in increase in pipe size when nearing the cooler itself. So I'm curious as to the exact specifications of the pipes used as in how many inches is one pipe which leads into another pipe into the cooler etc etc.

The HDI kit is on ebay for like 660us which is like 1300 plus BDS. Was wondering if I should just make my own kit. But I really love the size and look of the HDI cooler. ITS HUGE and thick and fits snug.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mad_max926

Member +
im running a hdi copy (cj performance intercooler) off a group buy on the uksc, its pretty much exactly the same.

Its good with the ct9, and seems to perform very well i made 10bhp more using this rather than my arc top mount intercooler, there is more lag but more power and it seems to balance it self out, the tmic was instant power and good but the fmic is slightly more laggy but more power.

its well made kit and the pipe route is very good on the hdi, as for pipe lengths and stuff and specs i dont really know. your bumper will require massive cutting with that kit though

that core is pretty thick
you may have to cut your bumper even more

u can look through the tread above.. i started it a long time ago,,,,lots of info and pics
some even local ...lol

Thanks, I don't mind the thickness of the cooler its just the right size in my opinion my bumper is already Hacked and my fender guards already have the space allocated for the piping to go around the front of the chassis and not under. I won't be on this ct9 long i hope as it is smoking i don't want to spend money on a rebuild kit when that money can go into getting a bigger turbo. Was just curious to the dimensions of the piping itself. Reading the thread now.

Texx

Super Moderator
The approximate OD measurements are:

Hot pipe - 32mm opening out to 45mm

IMG_1732.jpg

Hot pipe > Core - 45mm opening out to 60mm

IMG_1736.jpg

Core > Throttle body - 60mm

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

excellent info there texx...as usual

is it possible you could put those pics and info in the fmic king tread?
it may be very useful to members in the future when questions pop up

Last edited:
TEX THAT WAS THE BEST REPLY I HAVE EVER SEEN THANKS lol. Good looking out Texx and GorganL. That now set me so right. Liking this intercooler kit more and more.

What are your guys take of this kit on a Greddy T517Z turbo?

Last edited:
when it comes to greddy turbos and starlets...i guess you should chat with ifur and hybrid...those 2 immediately come to mind
i'm sure they are others....may be best to start a new topic so you get more responses

PS...the hdi cooler is very thick, i'm not sure if you will have to make adjustments in order to keep your a/c system as well
maybe some1 can respond that has the kit and still has a/c

Last edited:

will_maddox

Member +
Just got mine, put it on without any hitches until we got to the hot pipe and the flange had been welded on back to front but after a quick drilling it went straight on. Also would like too add, as is large some bodywork needs cutting. But overall te quality is great and i think its the biggest you can buy